How Safe and Beneficial is Nose Reshaping Surgically? (photo)

I really think that my large nose spoils my facial appearance.Really want it to be corrected.I am a 24 yr old female. No one in my family is supporting me for my decision.They are very skeptical about the procedure.Should i take my stand and go for the procedure at my own risk.Is it really safe and reliable? I am very confused but realy wish to go for the surgery if it can help me truly ? Will it affect my voice in anyway? or my breathing? after how long can i resume work? Pls guide me...

Is rhinoplasty right for you?

+4

There are several reasons for which I see patients who are requesting rhinoplasty.  I think that you are probably a very good candidate for rhinoplasty.  You clearly do not like your nose.  You have not mentioned that it is affecting your quality of life but, rather, it is a facial characteristic you would like to have improved, which, I feel is a reasonable request.  You are now an adult but, you would like your family's approval before proceeding with rhinoplasty surgery.  I am sure that they are worried that you will not look like you or that your ethnic appearance will be radically altered.  These are all reasonable concerns, however, in the hands of a skilled rhinoplasty surgeon, you will be able to alter the characteristics of your nose which you do not like and not make you look "different" or "less ethnic" if that is their concern.  Making the decision to have rhinoplasty surgery is a very personal one and I think that ultimately, you will have to make that decision, hopefully with the full support of your family.   The benefits of rhinoplasty are undeniable in the proper patient.  It gives me an incredible amount of satisfaction to see a patient of mine come back to the office after rhinoplasty with improved self confidence.    There are inherent risks in all surgical procedures, but, you are young and appear healthy so your risks are significantly decreased.  I suggest consulting with a reputable rhinoplasty surgeon.  I suggest that once you have found a surgeon with whom you are comfortable with scheduling a second appointment and bringing in a family member so that they can meet your surgeon, go over the surgical plan and gain the same comfort level you have.

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

You should consult several Rhinoplasty specialists to see if surgery would be right for you.

+3

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos:

From a technical standpoint, well-performed nose job surgery could lead to a more pleasing appearance. You could have your bulbous, over-projected, and droopy tip addressed. And you could have your profile hump reduced. The expertise of your surgeon is of utmost importance, so choose your surgeon wisely.

In general, it's helpful to have family support before undergoing rhinoplasty surgery. Computer-imaging is part of your consultation, and this may show you and your family what to expect after well-performed surgery. My hunch is that your family may have a change of heart after getting an idea what to expect after surgery. If your family is persistently sending negative energy regarding nose job surgery, this is a risk-factor for your dissatisfaction after surgery. Nothing hurts more than having a close family member saying you "look terrible" after undergoing surgery.

Nasal congestion or a minor change in the resonant quality of your voice are possible after nasal-reduction surgery, so you'll need to discuss these concerns with your doctor.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for the Indian nose.

+2
I'm sure that your parent's concern is that your new nose will look artificial. You can avoid this by choosing an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does natural noses. The recovery is a week and has minimal pain. In35 years of rhinoplasty I have never had any serious complication such as infection, bleeding etc.

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+2

Your questions and concerns are very common for Indian and Middle-Eastern patients with ethnic noses who want surgery.  You have a wide nose with a boxy tip and a dorsal hump that can be significantly improved with a rhinoplasty that can be tailored to maintain your ethnicity and achieve facial harmony to give you a very natural "unoperated-on" look.  However for many cultures, this goes against  traditional norms by having surgery to "change your body".  It may be helpful to invite your family with you to the consultation with an experienced ethnic rhinoplasty surgeon.    Your family can ask questions which may help dismiss many false preconceptions and put them at ease with the surgery and the expected outcome.  I have been in consultations with patients who have one or both parents and siblings in the room with them.   Ultimately the decision for surgery is yours.  However, having your family at your side, even if its not whole-heartedly, will ease your recovery and improve your overall satisfaction with the results and whole process.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Listent to the Words of the Late and Great Steven Jobs: Follow Your Heart

+2

Hi. I will address each issue you raised.

1. No one in my family is supporting me for my decision.  YOUR DECISION; YOUR LIFE. I'LL BET THEY WILL THINK IT A GOOD MOVE --- AFTER!

2 They are very skeptical about the procedure.Should i take my stand and go for the procedure at my own risk. RISK OF MAKING THEM HAPPY OR RISK OF UNSATISFACTORY OUTCOME OR RISK OF COMPLICATION, ETC?  THE ANESTHESIA RISK IS AT THE LOWEST LEVEL IN HISTORY. IF YOU ARE HEALTHY, YOU ARE VERY LOW RISK ANYWAY.

3 Is it really safe and reliable?  IF IT WERE NOT ,I WOULD NOT HAVE HAD A RHINOPLASTY, MYSELF.

4 I am very confused but realy wish to go for the surgery if it can help me truly ?  THEN GO FOR IT; IF IT WERE NOT SUCCESSFUL, WHY WOULD SO MANY PEOPLE HAVE IT?

5 Will it affect my voice in anyway? or my breathing? NO AND NO. after how long can i resume work? 7-10 DAYS  

6 Pls guide me... FOLLOW YOUR HEART;THAT IS WHAT THE LATE AND GREAT STEVEN JOBS SAID. HE WAS SMART, RIGHT?

BY THE WAY, IT APPEARS YOU ARE AN EXCELLENT CANDIDATE; SUGGEST YOU STUDY AND LOOK INTO IT.

-ROBERT KOTLER, MD, FACS

AUTHOR, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON

Robert Kotler, MD

How safe is rhinoplasty

+2

Rhinoplasty is relatively low risk from a medical standpoint.  You will definitely see significant change in the size and shape of your nose. It will be important for you to discuss with your surgeon what your ethnic background considers pleasing and how much you want to preserve or stray from it.  computer imaging may help you here.

It's discouraging when family members are not supportive. There are a variety of reasons why that occurs  that range from a feeling that you have rejected the family look to even jealousy.. Sometimes it helps to sit down and explain why you want the change and how you think it will help your sense of self esteem and confidence. Good luck!

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+2

When you look at a face and the nose stands out, the aesthetic proportions are off and could be improved and I think that is what you are noticing. Rhinoplasty done by an experienced Plastic Surgeon is a low risk operation. That said, it is also the procedure that has the highest rate of patient dissatisfaction due to unrealistic expectations. Choose a good surgeon and the doctor will help you to understand what are realistic expectations for your final result. If you both agree, then by all means proceed with the surgery and you will be happy. I rarely find patients coming into my office for surgery at the urging of their family. It is appropriate that your family think you are perfect as you are. But in the long run, if you are happy, they will be too.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Surgical Nose Reshaping

+2

Assuming you are healthy, you are an ideal candidate for nasal surgery anatomically speaking. Motivation for undergoing this must come from within yourself. Don't have surgery just because someone says you should, and conversely don't avoid it because someone says you shouldn't. You are of age to make your own decisions on this issue so if it bothers you then look into it, but don't jump into it. You should never undertake surgery lightly and should research any procedure carefully. Start with a consultation with a surgeon who specializes in nasal surgery. Find one you are comfortable with personally and professionally. He or she can, and should answer all your questions to your satisfaction. Good luck!

Von Graham, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Safe and reliable rhinoplasty

+2

Hello, Anon2027

In the hands of an experienced surgeon you can definitly look improved, and it can be done safely.  In my practice I operate primarily on Asian and Indian patients so I have a few comments about your decision and how  it can effect your family and personal relationships.

I feel it is important for your to see a surgeon who operates on the Ethnic nose, in particular Indian, Persian patients, etc.  You do not want to loose your identitiy so keep it subtle an natural looking.  Dramatic changes can be difficult to adjust to.  If I may say, I have found that with my Indian patients, more than other nationalities, it has been difficult in the first month for the patient and his or her family to adjust to the new look.  So be mentally prepared for that.  There is a lot of room for improvement and you'll love it but seek a surgeon who would be concervative and who has photo evidence of operating on your type of nose.

The surgery should not effect your voice.

Best of luck

Dr. Chase Lay

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for ethnic, large nose

+1

you are an excellent candidate for an open rhinoplasty.   your nose can  be reduced. refined, and reshaped with excellent results