It is Safe to Take Amoxicillin 875 Mg Week Before Facelift Surgery?

I have a small abscess under my toung due to trama, I started taking Amoxicillin 875 mg on 3/5/2012 and am to take for 7 days. I am having facelift surgery on 3/13/2012. Will this cause any problems?

Tongue Abscess and Facelift

Any residual infection should be completely treated prior to undergoing elective surgery.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Antiobiotics Before Facelift Surgery?

It is recommended to consult with your facelift surgeon who is performing your facelift surgery if taking any antibiotics, such as Amoxicillin, or supplements prior to your surgery. Every patient is unique, and so is every surgeon.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

61 East 66th Street
New York, NY 10065

Are antibiotics safe before a facelift?

Antibiotics do not pose any risk to a facelift procedure. The most important thing is that the infection that is being treated with the antibiotics has resolved prior to your surgery.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

1501 Superior Avenue
Newport Beach, CA 92663

The risk of antibiotics before a facelift

Antibiotics are not dangerous to take prior to surgery-- surgeons routinely prescribe them to reduce the risk of post-operative infection. However, if you have an active infection, particularly one that is very close to where your surgeon will be operating, you should definitely notify your surgeon in advance. It may be that the prudent thing would be to postpone the surgery until the infection clears, otherwise you may risk spreading the infection and compromising your surgical results.

Matthew Concannon, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

3115 Falling Leaf Court
Columbia, MO 65201

Amoxicillin 875 Mg Week Before Facelift

Each situation is unique and only your surgeon knows the specific details of your procedure and should be the person commenting on questions such as this.  The more important issue is whether your tongue abscess may cause any issues with the surgery or anesthesia

Sam Naficy, MD

1110 112th Ave NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Antibiotics and Facelift

Taking antibiotics will not impact your surgery; however, please make sure your surgeon is aware of your tongue infection.  It may be wise to postpone your elective procedure.

Kimberly Lee, MD

416 North Bedford Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Antibiotics and facelift surgery

Taking antibiotics, by itself , is not really the issue here. If you have an underlying infection that is not fully treated it is not generally a good idea to undergo elective surgery. Of course,  there are always unique circumstances that may come in to play. You should discuss this with your Doctor. 

Michael A. Epstein, MD, FACS

1535 Lake Cook Road
Northbrook, IL 60062

No surgery if you have an infection

In order to maximize your outcome and reduce complications you should be healthy prior to surgery. Definetely let your doctor know this ahead of time.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

27716 Cashford Cir
Wesley Chapel, FL 33544

Infection before a facelift, better let your doctor know

Elective surgery is safest when patients are healthy, and an active infection is not going to make your surgeon happy. A delay might be best, though it is important that you let your surgeon know right away what is up.

8901 West Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016

Antibiotics prior to facelift

If you have an infection for which antibiotics are required, I would postpone your surgery. It is essential for you to report this information to your plastic surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

112-03 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills, NY 11375