Is It Safe to Take a 7h Flight After 1 Week of Breast Augmentation?

Is it safe to take a 7h flight after 1 week of breast augmentation? I will be travelling business class (170 - 175 degrees reclinable seat).

Safe than Sorry

+1

1 week after Breast augmentation there are still a lot of questions you may have about what is going on. In addition to the health issues the other surgeons mentioned (blood clots in the legs and Breast hematoma). I find a high anxiety level in patients travelling that far so soon after their surgery. I experienced the reverse in my practice seeing quite a few patients that have gone to Central America for less expensive "Medical Tourism" surgery. With problems and concerns I encourage them to call or return to their surgeons. As you can imagine they are hesitant because of the cost/ inconvenience. If their is an emergency then all bets are off... go. But if it schedule, really think it over.

Naples Plastic Surgeon

OK to Fly After BA

+1

Dear v. el,

If you are young, healthy and have an uncomplicated surgery, I would have no problem with a patient of mine flying 1 week after breast augmentation. You must not do anything strenuous, stay very hydrated and pump your calves and walk about the plane frequently. Ultimately, your surgeon has the final say on this subject. If you travel, have fun and be safe. Dr. G.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

No 7 hr flights one weeks after BA

+1

Blood clots aside, what if you get a hematoma that far from your doctor??  You are at risk for this for 2-3 weeks after surgery and it would happen if you overdid and got your HR and BP elevated.  Don't do this!

Flying after augmentation

+1
The other doctors have covered the issue of clots but there is another consideration. If you have a complication 7 hours away from your plastic surgeon, what is your plan? I personally would discourage travel this soon after surgery for that reason alone.

7 hr Flight 1 Week after Breast Augmentation

+1

If you have no other risk factors for DVT and the breast augmentation is uncomplicated, this may not be unreasonable.  However, you should be up and around frequently on the flight to minimize risk further.  It is important to realize that healthy patients without recent surgery have gotten blood clots on flights.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/breast-augmentation-photo-galleries.php

Flying 1 Week after Breast Augmentation

+1

Were you talking about a longer operation, I would say absolutely not. Even after a breast augmentation, you still have increased risks of blood clots in the legs which can cause problems in the future or can dislodge acutely and even kill you. Breast augmentation is a short operation, so the risks are less than with some surgeries. However, many people who have this surgery are on birth control pills that also increase the risk of blood clots. After surgery, the risk stays high for about a month. Short travel will increase the risks some, and the longer the travel, the greater the risks. Seven hours is pushing it. If you are on birth control pills, you might want to consider changing your schedule. At the very least, make sure the center where you will have the surgery uses leg compression devices during the time you are in the center and during surgery. During the plane flight, keep moving your feet while sitting and walk some in the aisle every 30 minutes.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Flying 1 week after breast augmentation

+1

I think that first you need to be cleared by your surgeon. If so, you want to stay well hydrated and move around a lot to avoid the risk of blood clots in the legs.

Plane Flight Post BAM

+1

I would have no problem with you taking this flight but be careful lifting anything heavy.  I have many patients who work for the airlines and are back to work in 3-4 days.  Getting up and moving about is important like anyone on your flight.  Hope it is vacation.

+1

This should not be a problem, provided recovery is going well. Do get up and walk as often as possible (hourly). If your general health is ok, risk of clots should not be elevated by this time. All the best.