Getting Smart Lipo In One Week For Saddlebags, Worried Fat Will Come Back In New Places Following Procedure. Can It?

I am 44 yrs old 5'5" , 126 lbs, weight is stable and I work out 3x wk. I have terrible saddlebags, have had them all my life, even as a teen. I have had enough of limited wardrobe options and being self conscious. I am sched for smartlipo next wk. I am very small and toned on top, a complete mismatch to my bottom, and am terrified of ruining what I like about myself. Reading this site in see many talk of weight gain in odd places, is this mostly for those using lipo for weight or shud I worry?

Fat shifting after liposuction

+1

So long as your weight remains stable after liposuction, you will not see the fat in other parts of the body.  However, if you gain weight, it has to go somewhere and generally will find its way to other areas.  My patients report that it doesn't always spread equally.  It sounds like you are highly motivated to keep the weight off and you aren't heavy to begin with so I would not anticipate any problems--except for weight gain during menopause, which every woman has to watch out for!

Weight gain after Smart Lipo

+1

If you're ask active as it sounds I think you will be fine.  Once the fat is gone, it's gone.  However, not all the fat is removed when lipo of any kind is performed.  If you gain weight you can gain volume back.  As for where you might gain weight in the future if you do gain weight it's difficult to say but if you're that petite then it would probably be a general gain in fat volume all over your body.  I think you're going to be fine.  I wouldn't expect weight gain to target just your upper body, etc.

Best of Luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and swelling

+1

In general if you maintain your weight you will not put on unwanted pounds to other areas.  In general, the weight will be better distributed if you gain wieght. But it is difficult to predict where it will go when you put on weight.

Laser Lipo and abnormal weight gain

+1

Abnormal weight gain after lipo is only an issue if you gain significant weight after the procedure. This situation is rare since gaining weight is not part of the plan. Maintain excellent nutrition and regular exercise and you will likely have an amazing result especially since this is an isolated area for you. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Smartlipo

+1
sure you can gain weight elsewhere but ONLY if you gain weight. in other words if you eat enough to gain it has to go somewhere but you will not grow new areas unless you simply take in more than you burn up. sounds like you will do well.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon