Is this saddle nose? (Photo)

Is this a saddle or scoop nose?PS says because of past septoplasty,I might not have enough cartilage so wants use cadaver rib cartilage and I don't have longterm childcare so recovery will be shorter. What's the difference, which would you recommend ear or cadaver cartilage Also want my radix reduced but PS says he will let me know how much can be reduced after he finishes computer picture before/after because it will allow him to see how much can be reduced.Is this something all surgeons do?

Saddle Nose Deformity Rhinoplasty

+2
Liddyn, you do have a saddle nose deformity, possibly from prior septoplasty and/or nasal trauma. A nose like yours can usually be reconstructed to create a balanced, straight nasal profile using ear cartilage. Rib cartilage should be reserved for much more severe nasal deformities, especially when there is no bony support for the bridge tip support is severely compromised. I have never had a patient complain about any problems with their ear afterwards. Computer imaging is not necessary for rhinoplasty planning, including radix reduction. Get a second opinion from an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Bakersfield Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1
You do not have a saddle nose deformity. If fact, I think you have a small hump on your nasal bridge that needs to be lowered slightly. Be very cautious in proceeding.  Bone grafts to the nasal bridge can really look weird.  I would make sure your surgeon is quite experienced and would want to see photos of cases he or she has done that are similar to yours.  The cadaver graft may sound like an okay idea. Getting it to look good is anything but straightforward.  Good luck.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Saddle Nose

+1
You may have some components of saddle nose but an in person consultation to evaluate both the inside and outside of your nose will be important.  3-D computer imaging can also help you visualize what you may look like after surgery, particularly with regards to your radix area.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you with achieving the results you seek while still allowing you to breathe afterwards.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Is this saddle nose?

+1
Dear Liddyn, You appear from the photographs to have a slight saddle deformity. Upon examination by your chosen surgeon he/she will determine if grafting is needed and what type is the surgeons preference. Many surgeons have a preference in this regard and will use what they are most comfortable with. I personally typically use nose or ear cartilage however this is dependent on the patients needs and anatomy. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D. 

Michael Elam, MD

Is this saddle nose?

+1
After viewing the posted photos you might have components of saddling but only IN PERSON full intra nasal examination would allow a definitive diagnosis. As for which implant to use whether alloplastic or autologous that is a decision best done with your chosen surgeon. I use all types depending upon the case.. 

Saddle nose

+1
I do not think it really matters what type of nose you call this. What is more important is what is causing it to look this way, and what your goals and expectations are for surgery.  I think you are best served by finding a surgeon you trust, whose plan makes sense and who you feel you are on the same page with as to the result you desire. Computer imaging can help you in figurine out if you and your surgeon have the same vision for your result. 

If your nose is deficient in available septal cartilage and cartilage is indeed needed for the reconstruction then my preference is either ear or the patients own rib depending on what I am going to use it for. 

Good luck in your journey

David M. Kahn, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for hump and slight depression etc.

+1
Rhinoplasty for hump and slight depression etc. you should Not need rib! The ear and or septum will supply enough cartilage. The plan for the Radix is made before surgery not at the time. Get a second opinion from an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. 

Rhinoplasty for saddle nose and hump

+1
The photographs show  a very mild  saddle deformity  and a large hump common both of which can be addressed  with the rhinoplasty procedure. The hump is composed of both bone and cartilage which can be shaved down and a small portion of cartilage from either the nose or your ear can be used to augment the mild saddle deficiency.You may also need a spreader graft on the right side as well.

Saddle nose

+1
Thank you for the photos though a full examination is needed.  The idea of imaging your nose particularly with your input is a good one.  Rib or ear cartilage is a function of what is needed so I really need to do an examination to determine what might be best for you

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Saddle nose

+1
Yes, this is a mild saddle nose, possibly as a result of prior septoplasty.  See the link below for a similar example.  Ideally your own rib cartilage should be used if avialable

Sam Naficy, MD