Is A Saddle Nose The Same As Ski Jump Deformity?

I think my PS made a mistake at removing the hump in my nose,he left me with a low curved inward bridge,like a ski launch pad.my nose has no dorsum projection and my bulbous tip (maybe due to supratip and pollybeak)is now the center of attention and also my nose looks too feminine for my face. How can my PS solve the problem he created? Do i need more tip definition or more cartilage in the bridge? Is this considered a saddle nose or ski jump deformity?

+1

From the photos you appear to have a ski jump deformity, overresection of the bony dorsum that will require an onlay graft. Saddle nose is more a complete structural collapse,  more involving the cartilagenous areas and support. That, too, requires onlay grafting.

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Saddle nose deformity is a distinct entity

+1

Saddle nose deformity is a distinct entity whereby the support structures of the nose (i.e. the bone and septal cartilage) are over-reduced and nasal bridge collapses inward. Saddle nose deformity exists along a spectrum. The problem visible on your profile views seems to be more consisten with a "pollybeak deformity," which occurs when the distal/dorsal septum is inadequately reduced during surgery.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Is a saddle nose deformity the same as a ski sloped nose?

+1

No, a sadlle deformity is from the collapse of the support structures, of the nose, most often due to loss of the septal cartilage.  A ski slope is a term associated with a scooped out nasal bridge.  Although they may appear similar, they are degrees of a curved nasal bridge with a saddle deformity the more severe of the two. 

The pictures are very poor quality and if you feel that your bridge is too scooped after your Rhinoplasty you should discuss this with your Rhinoplasty surgeon and see if there are ways, he/she feels might resolve this for you.  Fillers, to raise the bridge, or sometimes lowering the tip projection can make the bridge appear less scooped and feminine.  Hope this helps.

Difference between saddlenose and ski jump deformity

+1

A saddlenose deformity is related to a structural collapse of the bridge of the nose. It is due to a loss of cartilagenous septal support of the bridge. It can be fixed with cartilage grafting.

A ski jump deformity, which it looks like you have, is typically related to an over-resected bridge that leads to an overly concave profile line. This can be addressed with a cartilage onlay graft. This will help produce a more natural, non-operated nasal appearance.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Rhinoplasty Utah - Saddle nose and Ski Jump Nose Not the Same

+1

No they are not the same.  A saddle nose is where the nose has collapsed entirely.  The nose has no support from the bone or the cartilage over the bridge.  

A ski jump still has some support and a more artistic shape.

J. Gregory Kjar, M.D.
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Saddle nose or ski jump

+1

While at initial glance they may look the same,  the term saddle nose is usually associated with collapse due to septal abscess or repeated trauma (boxers). This type of scoop is not only present on the profile but frequently has loss of caudal septum and middle vault collpase as well. It often needs more then just onlay grafting to correct. The term ski jump is more often associated with overresection from rhinoplasty and is more aesthetic then structural. It can often be corrected by onlay grafting alone. Depending on how long ago you had your rhinoplasty you may need onlay grafting with or without some reduction of your lower septum to achieve an even profile.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Saddle nose.

+1

Technically  a saddle nose is the loss of height along the bridge as a result of a medical condition, while a ski slope is the result from over-resection from a surgical procedure.However the terms are now used interchangeably. 

In order to fix the deformity you have, cartilage needs to be added. You did not submit a front view, but probably you will need spreader gratfts as well as dorsal augmentation. I cannot comment on the tip because of the limited views.

I would consult with several experienced rhinoplasty specialist to fix these issues.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon