Had a Full Tummy Tuck, W Muscle Repair, & Flank Lipo, Breast Lift and Aug 375cc, 1 Year Ago. Unsure of My Results? (photo)

I'm a fit, trim, athletic 44 yr. old mom of 4. 5'5''133 lbs since age 18. I exercise daily & eat healthfully, I had these procedures to boost my self esteem. Now I look in the mirror and cry as before surgery. I have a pooch, indentation on my hip, love handles, jiggly abdominal fat, a resolved hematoma on my llower ab appears to have a bulge and higher scar, waist/hip measurements are same as pre-surgery My Board Cert PS says lipo will resolve pooch. What do you think? I waited 26 yrs. for this : (

Very fixable result

+3
With full abdominoplasties, there is often a choice between a higher incision versus a lower scar with a vertical closure of the umbilical defect.  In this situation, the umbilicus is appropriately positioned and the contour of the upper abdomen appears quite acceptable (at least by the photos provided).  In this situation for a higher incision with shelving and fullness centrally, I would advance the skin flap lowering the incision and perform a thinning procedure with direct excision of the fat between the belly button and the existing scar.  I believe this will significantly improve your result!  Left dogear could be fixed as well.  Liposuction alone will not address all of these issues. Do not fret, this is very fixable!

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Had a Full Tummy Tuck, W Muscle Repair, & Flank Lipo, Breast Lift and Aug 375cc, 1 Year Ago. Unsure of My Results?

+3

You are ready for scar revision of the "pooch" area. Seek in person evaluations from your surgeon or another boarded PSs

Revision Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

+3

Although I think you definitely look better than before surgery, there is residual fat that could be liposuctioned and the tummy tuck scar could be lowered and make you flatter at the same time.  I would go back to your original surgeon, as he or she will likely give you a discount on the procedure.  If you desire someone else, find the board certified plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs mommy makeovers hundreds of times each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD  Los Angeles, CA

Don't cry!

+3

Hi Hope,

thank you for the post and the pics. Your result isn't perfect. But you know, NO ONE is perfect. The doctors here aren't and neither are you. However, a board certified plastic surgeon will be able to correct and improve what you have. Based on the pics, seems like the correction needed would be the following:  

1. you seem to have gained a small degree of weight. Is that true? Try to lose that first. 

2. A touch up lipo for the lower abdomen would thin this area down and make it smoother. 

3. possible lower tummy tuck scar revision to correct the indentation. 

this is something your PS can do as a minor procedure. You should still take a couple days off of work to recover. Hope that is helpful! 

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty

+3

Your abdominoplasty scar is too high, there is some bulge in the lower abdomen, could be fat or scar from the hematoma, flnks scars need revision.

You probably need also lipo of the abdomen and flanks with complete revision of the lower abdomen.

Frustrated after mommy makeover

+2

I am sorry you are unhappy after undergoing a MM. Its very easy for surgeons to look at before and after photos and criticize the results. Its not unusual to look back and see things that perhaps could have been done differently, even by the surgeon who did the work. Without examining you, its difficult to say whether lipo alone would be the best option, or completely redoing the TT. I would suggest get second or third opinions from a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Paul Wigoda, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Unsure of My Results?

+2

Thank you for your question and for the attached photos. Although there is improvement, there is margin for considerably more. 

My suggestion would be re-elevate the lower part of the TT (below the navel) and to stretch out the skin and fat in order to make the scar lower. This  I believe, with give more improvement than liposuction which would not address both abdominal issues. In addition, it may be that more muscle tightening can be done, something else that would not improve with lipo alone. 

The left end of the TT scar could be revised. The contour irregularity in the hip area could be grafted with fat harvested from the flanks.

Hope this is useful. All the best. 

Revision surgery

+2

I think that an exam in person is critical to properly evaluate you.  You certainly have a significant improvement from your pre-op appearance.  You may benefit from liposuction or revision abdominoplasty.

Weight Gain?

+2

Liposuction would definately help improve your result. You also have to consider if you have gained extra and intra-abdominal weight. As women near menopause, hormonal changes cause intra-abdominal weight gain with loss of weight definition.  All of these issues may have had an impact on your current situation.  Seek further consultation.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Full abdominoplasty revision

+2

Thank you for the question and the photos.  I think there are improvements that can and likely should be made with regards to your abdominal appearance.  Your options are to fine tune your abdominal appearance through liposuction and scar revision or to re-do the entire abdominoplasty.  I feel strongly that a full tummy tuck revision would provide the best result.  Below is a link from a few patients that have undergone a full tummy tuck revision and shows the types of improvements that can be expected.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD