Would a Lower Lift Help with Sagging in the Marionette Area?

Due to 30lb weight loss I have sagging in the marionette line area. Its not too bad but it bothers me that I look sad. I talked to a plastic surgeon about a lower lift. He said this would also help my jaw line. What would this entail. Is the recuperation difficult. I am 48. Would juvederm help to hold off the surgery for awhile? Can it help the neck? I have already had my eyes done and rhinoplasty so surgery isn't new to me.

Facelifting after weight loss

+1

Your story is typical and a lower face lift or min-lift is designed to take care of the Marionette area, jowls and upper neck accentuated by weight loss. You may also need fillers (fillers do not work in the neck area) but I suspect loose skin needs also to be addressed.

The aging process involves 3 things ; downward decent from facial soft tissue laxity, skin surface aging characterized by wrinkles and discoloration, and loss of volume especially in the cheek area. Failure to treat all three may make you more aware of what is not treated: in your case the redundancy in the Marionette area. Your plastic surgeon can explain more.

Lower facelift plus volume

+1

Usually patients with your situation need volume (fat grafting or fillers) that are synergistic to lower face lift to improve the appearance of marionette lines.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Filler Facelift Marionette Lines

+1

You may need a combination of both. Don't be fixated on one or the other.  there are a lot of complicated factors that go into these recommendations including the "strength" of the jaw and chin, skin consistency, volume loss, etc. If you feel comfortable with your surgeon then go with their recommendation.  Good luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correcting Marionette Lines via Facelift

+1

Facelifts help to some degree with correcting the oral commissure (marionette area) but often the area deepens or sags due to certain muscle action in the area. If the muscle is primarily responsible sometimes small doses of botulinum toxin (Botox and Dysport) can be helpful as can injectable fillers. But remember, fillers fill and Lifts lift. An experienced surgeon can show you how much of your problem can be corrected with each type of treatment.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Neck lift and fillers

+1
Ideally you would need a combination treatment of neck lift and fillers. However, dermal fillers can be used around the jowls and marionette lines with good results.

Sandy Sule, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lift

+1

You can discuss with your surgeon the possibility  for the use of fillers   and Botox to  help the down pull of the corner of you mouth .

Alejandro J. Quiroz, MD, FACS
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Marionette lines and sagging skin

+1

At age 48 you probably have fairly good skin tone, although weight loss will affect that. Consideration for the fillers in the marionette lines can be entertained. The goal of the lower face/neck lift is to tighten up the jowls, but one needs to be very careful as to not stretch taller the wind tunnel of the face to try to pull out all of the marionette lines in that area. Nasolabial folds will not be stretched out with a facelift either.  

Sagging in the marionette area

+1

Combination treatment facelift plus filler is best answer for sagging marionette lines. The marionette area sometimes is reasonably simple to treat, but other times is more difficult. A simple answer is to utilize simple, safe and less expensive techniques such as Juvéderm or Restylane for the marionette line area. This can be a potential six to nine month or even one year successful therapy in many instances, but not all. More permanent answer entails Sculptra or lipo injection to the area that can additionally soften the marionette line. These answers are safe and less expensive. Nonetheless a facelift provides an excellent improvement in marionette lines in most instances, but there are some instances where supplemental injection is needed. So at 48 years of age I would suggest trying fillers first and if this doesn’t resolve things to your satisfaction then strongly consider a mini-lift or facelift by an expert surgeon in the area who has done a lot of facelift procedures. And again even then, consider subsequent injections if this is not satisfactory.

David Q. Santos, MD

Fillers or Facelift for marionette lines

+1

Both fillers like Juvederm and a facelift can help marionette lines and sagging or looking sad around the corners of the mouth.  You would probably get the most improvement in marionette lines doing both because they work by different but complementary mechanisms.  

A facelift will tighten drooping skin, fat and muscle and fillers can help finish the job by filling in areas of skin with depleted collagen.   Fillers will not help the neck at all and only a facelift helps to tighten neck skin.   The recuperation from a facelift varies by technique and surgeon.    

Bruising and swelling usually lasts for a 10-14 day period with most patients returning to work in 10 days.   

James C. Marotta, MD
Long Island Facial Plastic Surgeon