How is the Recovery on a Implant Revision?

I am considering revision on my implants I had placed 4 years ago. I have since had a baby who is now 20 months. What is the recovery time like and pain level? Also am I going to have trouble lifting my baby after a week of help with him?

+2

The pain is usually less, but this really depends upon what you need done.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations and breast augmentation revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Recovery after implant revisions

+2

vary considerably depending on what is revised.  In general, the recovery is usually less painful but if implants have to be moved and repositioned, recovery can be more daunting because of the restrictions on your activities.  It really is best to discuss your concerns with your surgeon who knows exactly what 'revision' you will be having.

Curtis Wong, MD

Recovery from breast implant revision surgery is usually easier than the primary operation.

+2

For simple revisional surgery usually convalescence is a bit easier. This is particularly true with sub muscular implants where the pocket already exists so the price is been paid at the time of the first operation for lifting the muscle off the chest wall.

Revising breasts

+2

You can revise your breast  and recovery should be around a week. You can pick up the baby no problem- you are using your back muscles doing this. The question is why do you need a revision? Are you looking for a lifting/tightening procedure or are you looking for more volume lost from breast feeding. To best help you determine the right look for your body, seek out a surgeon who uses 3D imaging during the consult. Very effective tool to help you see your options on your body to be sure your idea of revision is possible and will give you the look you want.

Phillip R. Craft, MD

+2

Surgical revision can mean many things so you need to ask this question of your surgeon who knows exactly which type of revision is going to be needed. But in general, women find it less painful and quicker than the original surgery.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Recovery after revision breast surgery

+2

There are several factors which influence your recovery, namely: (1) the extend of the revision i.e. simple implant exchange vs. extensive pocket work and possible "lift" and (2) your individual pain threshold. I have seen people return to work the next day and others need several days off;really depends on you. I would not lift the baby (anything more than a gallon of milk) for three weeks. The length of time before you can hold him will vary, as well, depending on what was done. 

Matthew Becker, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant exchange

+2

Activity levels following breast implant surgery should be restricted for three weeks. While you may have very little soreness if a straightforward implant exchange is performed with no pocket or capsular work being performed, you can still stimulate a bleeding problem with lifting in the early post-operative period. Be careful.

Patti A. Flint, MD

Recovery After Implant Revision

+2

Your recovery will depend on the amount of tissue disruption that occurs, so it may differ if you have implant exchange only, or additional procedures, such as breast lift or capsule repair. In general, the early recover and discomfort should last 1-2 weeks. Most patients will need to avoid high impact activity or heavy lifting for 4-6 weeks. 

Karen Vaniver, MD

Revision surgery recovery

+2

Your recovery will depend on what needs to be done for your revision surgery.    Do you just need an implant exchange, or do you need a lift as well, or do you need extra work on your capsule?  So a physical exam is needed to determine your treatment plan.  Please visit with a board certified PS to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

houston, tx

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Revision Breast Implant Surgery

+2

It depends on what needs to be done on your surgery. If it is only an exchange with no pocket site change recovery should be much faster and easier. Probably a week before handling your baby. If the surgery is more complicated it maybe similar to your original surgery!

Good luck

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon