Rhinoplasty after trauma? (Photo)

I was in a car accident many years ago and hit my nose really hard on the steering wheel and broke it. It was severed at the columna as well and stitched up at the ER. I was told by one plastic surgeon( that my tip was soft and it makes for a riskier surgery. I then had another consultation with a rhinoplasty specialist that did not seem to worry too much about it. My nose is crooked and I have a hanging columna and just want a refined smalller nose all together. Is this achievable?

Rhinoplasty after Trauma

+2
It is very common to have rhinoplasty surgery after a patient has had trauma to the nose. An examination with digital imaging with a rhinoplasty specialist will be able to show you the proposed surgical changes to your nose. Most experienced surgeons are quite familiar with seeing patients with trauma and varying degrees of skin types in the tip etc..these are inconsequential to an experienced surgeon. Refining your nose with rhinoplasty surgery is achievable and you should expect a nice natural looking nose with no increased risk due to your anatomy. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Rhinoplasty after trauma?

+2
The areas that you described and would like improved can be addressed with a natural appearing rhinoplasty performed by an expert plastic surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience. An artistically performed rhinoplasty can modify the size as well as the shape of the nose in a variety of ways to produce an improved cosmetic result depending on desired outcome, individual anatomy and surgical expertise.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on brief history and limited photo without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeryand ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You
should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for broken nose and columellar show

+2
 Nasal trauma can cause a fracture of the nasal bones which can be displaced, or non-displaced. The upper lateral cartilages could also be fractured off of the nasal bones. The crooked nose is repaired with  medial and lateral osteotomies of the nasal bones, and sometimes a spreader graft placed underneath the concave upper lateral cartilage.   Columellar show is reduced by trimming back the caudal septal  cartilage and skin on the inside of the columella. For many examples of broken nose repair and columellar show a reduction in our practice, please see the links below

Rhinoplasty

+2
Thank you for your photo and question and the short answer is YES your nose can be dramatically improved.  The long answer is that a full examination aided by digital photography is needed

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty after Trauma

+2
Your crooked nose can be straightened and reduced after nasal trauma. A rhinioplasty specialist frequently sees theses types of problems. The "soft" tip does not add risk to the operation if the surgeon has experience with this work.

Rhinoplasty after trauma to raise columella and straighten nose.

+2
Rhinoplasty after trauma to raise columella and straighten nose is achievable with a closed technique. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does natural noses. 

Rhinoplasty to address a Crooked nose after car accident along with tip rhinoplasty

+1
Dear readyforrhino1

Sounds like you have been doing your homework, getting info from surgeons and are getting close to ready for a rhinoplasty 

• Although the "soft tip" that you were told about is possible, there are ways to make it stronger in the surgery
  • One of the best ways to look at the crooked nose is to view it in relation to the rest of your face, so a plan can be made.  
  • What you are hoping to achieve is common after a broken nose. 
  • The scar in the columella may need some slight revision too.
  • Schedule a consult to discuss your hanging columella and the refined smaller nose that you are seeking. 
Best Wishes

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty after trauma?

+1
Rhinoplasty or septorhinoplasty are commonly performed after nasal trauma.  It's likely that you could address your stated concerns (and probably more) with a well conceived and executed procedure.  Good luck.

Stephen J. Ronan, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty after trauma?

+1
You can have a more refined nose that is natural in appearance. I perform these surgeries with closed technique to preserve the structure of the nose and minimize visible scarring.