Shouldn't I Replace my Implants if I'm Going Under to Have a Lift Anyway?

I am having a lift (left side only) to help correct asymmetry. Shouldn't I have my 6year old saline mod implants replaced while I'm in surgery? I would also like to go slightly bigger. I am currently 5'6 115lbs 390(L) 430 (R). I would like to have better projection. What is the max amount of cc's I can go without compromising my pocket & tissue? Also, how does the pain compare to the original augmentaion?

Factors to Consider with Breast Implant Revisions

+1

Without photos or an exam it is difficult to give a detailed opinion. Implants are often changed every 10-15 years so you still have some mileage to go, but no harm in changing them except to your pocketbook. Your breast base measurements (especially the width) will determine the increase size possible. There is usually less pain with revisions than the first augmentation

Replacing the implants

+1

It is not necessary to replace the implants when you simply have a lift unless there is a specific reason to.  Such a reason might be if you want a size change, if the pocket needs to be adjusted, or if needed to correct asymmetry as in your case.  It is actually simpler to keep the current implants and perform the without even exposing the implant if possible.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

+1

If you want to be larger, that is an easy question to answer.Yes.

As to how much larger, that would have to be answered in the setting of a consultation. Photos would help to give some kind of answer. If you have had these for six years it is unlikely that you couldn't increase by at least 100 cc, likely more if that is your goal.

Typically there would be less discomfort expected as compared with the first operation. Making the pocket under the muscle is what is most uncomfortable  and that is already done.

Thanks for your question, all the best. 

Implant exchange and lift?

+1

Well, if you want larger implants then you answered your own question about having a lift and exchanging the implant.

Implant sizing is crucial when doing a breast lift

+1

While your question seems relatively straight forward, there are many aspects of it that can make the answer a bit complicated.  First, the ability for the skin to hold up the implant weight and your breast tissue determines how long you will keep the shape that you want.  This has to do with the implant size and the amount of breast tissue you have.  It also has to do with the elasticity of your skin and whether you have had breast feeding experience, weight gain/loss, tanning, smoking, age, genetics, etc.  Typically, the tighter the skin to begin with, the better the lift will hold up.  Also, smaller your implant and smaller your breast tissue, the better the skin will be able to hold a certain shape.  As for the projection, you can vary the style of the implant (high profile versus moderate profile).  The maximum volume  that you can hold really would be able to be determined after a full examination.

Please ask your plastic surgeon to discuss these issues before your surgery and I am sure you and he/she, working together will make the right decisions!

Richard H. Lee, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Your choice

+1

You need to talk to your American Board of Plastic Surgery certified plastic surgeon, at the end it will be your decision, you should also consider the option of changing to silicone implant, your surgeon should be able to explain the advantages and disadvantages of the implant in comparison to saline.

Your surgery should be a lot less painful than the original surgery.

Good luck

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon