What will be the price of revision after breast implant deflated? How long will it take to heal?

Breast implant deflated while pregnant. Implants only 3 years old. I don't have my serial number card, my medical surgeon was dr efrain Gonzales who turned out not to be a plastic surgeon and I've tried to contact him multiple times to see if my implants are a brand that are insured but he's no where to be found and I'm wanting to know what will be covered before I go into surgery ? Will Aetna insurance will cover?

+2
When it comes to cost of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure ( quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider, type of breast implant used… are some of the potential variables involved.  You will find some average costs of surgery listed on this website and on individual plastic surgeons' websites (including attached link) as well. Surgery will not be a covered benefit through insurance companies.
In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Again, I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery; keep in mind that additional revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways.  Best wishes.

Revision Breast Surgery...at what cost? PLEASE READ

+1
Thanks for your question. I'm sorry that you have been placed in such an uncomfortable position. However, you case illustrates the importance of doing research prior to undergoing any cosmetic surgical procedure. Most patients don't realize that once the doctor receives a medical license he/she is free to operate outside the scope of their specialty or training. That's correct. So the individual that you have been told about could very well be a dermatologist, gynecologist, etc. A little frightening, don't you think?

In the South Florida area where I have practiced for the past 29 years, this occurrence is rampant. There are many doctors who call themselves "plastic surgeons" without having had any formal training. Because it's accepted by law, the patients don't seem to question it. Down in the Miami area small "mom and pop" cosmetic surgery centers seem to pop up overnight, They are here today and gone tomorrow, as are the surgeons who perform the surgeries at these centers. On the initial consult the patient meets with a young woman who typically has "overdone fake" breasts, has had a buttock fat transfer and walks around in skin tight pants with 6 inch heels. The patient meets the doctor the day of surgery and will never see him/her again.

These centers are purely driven by price and not by quality of care. "You buy cheap....you get cheap". We've had some very unfortunate incidents in the Miami area that have involved a number of these clinics. It has been well publicized in the local media.

I cannot overemphasize the need to research way before a patient undertakes the decision to have elective cosmetic surgery.

Costs for an implant replacement will vary with the area of the country. It is not covered by medical insurance. Unfortunately, in your case the implant information is not available and your surgeon has disappeared. Practicing in Miami, considered the gateway to Latin America, I have had patients who have been implanted with implants brought over in suitcases from other countries. It sounds unethical and IT IS. 

Search for a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience. Look at many, many before and after photos. Make sure that the photos that you are shown belong to patients of the surgeon that you are considering, not his/her partner or the clinic. Given the opportunity to view countless before and after photos will give you a very good idea to the consistency of the work. Are you being shown a few good results? The situation is analogous to the baseball player who hits a home run once in a while as opposed to the player who has a high batting average because he is consistent every time he steps up to bat.

You need to be able to speak with the surgeon's previous patients. There is nothing like a one to one sharing of info. RealSelf has done a wonderful job in allowing dialogue among patients.

Next, is the surgeon an individual who can earn your trust? Trust is key. You want to be guided along your journey by someone whom you trust. Trust is earned by being candid and truthful. It should not be easily given to the title of MD.

How many years has he/she been performing cosmetic breast surgery? Do you want an experienced surgeon or one that has had limited experience?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthsiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications. Research, research and then research some more.

I wish you the best. Good luck

Jose Perez-Gurri, MD