Am I a Good Candidate for a Mini TT or Regular TT? (photo)

I am soon to be 24 years old in August 2013. I have two daughters soon to be 6 and 4 in October, and my youngest was an emergency C-Section. I have gone from 185 lbs to as of today 135 lbs. Despite the exercising and weight loss, I am not able to make my stomach go down. I still look like I am pregnant most days. Also, I have noticed that the more weight I lose, the more loose skin hangs around my mid section. Am I a good candidate for a mini TT or a regular TT and lipo?

+2

Full tummy tuck in my opinion.  Only abdominoplasty will manage bulging of entire anterior abdominal wall and remove enough skin and fat to restore youthful, fit contour.

Am I a Good Candidate for a Mini TT or Regular TT?

+2

Every year I see a few patients who had a mini TT somewhere and are disappointed and want to convert to a full TT. The mini procedure works well on only a very few patients. Go with the full TT and some peripheral lipo and you will get the best results.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

+2

I think that a tummy tuck coupled with liposuction of the sides and the back will give you a very nice result.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Am I a Good Candidate for a Mini TT or Regular TT

+2

Congratulations on the weight loss. 

A mini-TT works only in a small minority of patients whose problem is limited to the lower abdomen. Your muscle laxity and skin excess involved the upper as well as lower abdomen, and will require a full TT to solve this problem.

When you are ready for an in person consultation,RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

You are a good candidate for a Tummy Tuck but losing more weight will help

+1

Thank you for your question and photographs. Congratulations on your weight loss that is fantastic.

There is still some fat underneath the skin, and if you can lose more weight you will get a better Tummy Tuck result.

You appear to be a good candidate for a Tummy Tuck. Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in body contouring, and who has a good reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck candidate

+1

You definitely need a full tummy tuck. There are very few patients who are decent candidates for the mini tummy tuck. In your case, it would be a real dissappointment. Go for the full tummy tuck.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

+1

For me I am leaning towards a FULL TT in your case from the posted photos. Best to seek a few IN PERSON opinions from boarded PSs in your area. 

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

+1

Congratulations on your significant weight loss; you should be proud of this accomplishment.  Given your history and photographs, you will benefit from a full tummy tuck operation.

A few words of caution for patients contemplating tummy tuck surgery may be in order:  In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery. 

Some additional words of advice may be helpful to you,  given that these operations are associated with a significant physical and ( often) emotional recovery that is underestimated by patients and surgeons:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery. 

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Your problem can be fixed with a tummy tuck

+1

It sounds like the problem you are describing is diastasis of the rectus muscles which basically means

that your abdominal "6 pack" muscles have stretched out from your pregnancy.  When that

happens exercise and weight loss will not fix the looseness of the muscles.  This problem can

only be fixed with a tummy tuck.  There are a number of photos on the link before which may help you understand.

Dev Wali, MD

Full or Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

I would recommend the full tummy tuck with liposuction of selected areas.  These procedures will remove excess skin and fat, tighten the entire length of the abdominal musculature, and elevate the pubic region.  Consult with a surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery to acquire the detailed information that you need to make an informed decision.

Philip E. Fleming, MD