What Should I Do About Sacral Fat Pad After Liposuction?

i had lipo of my love handles, and hips 3 years ago. I developed a big lump at the sacral area that was squishy. My doctor drained it a few times and removed fluid. Its been 3 years, its smaller but still there. When i bend forward it has a definite round lump shape. Do i need more lipo?

Management of Persistent Sacral Fat Pad

+2

Liposuction of the lower back and sacral fat is a GREAT operation which has come to be known as "Back Scoop Surgery".  (Very Ben and Jerry-ish on the part of the media...)

The operation defines the upper borders of the buttocks, the V zone valley between the separating buttock cheeks and gives added height to almost any buttocks. BUT to get these results, seromas must be prevented and managed aggressively. The liposuction area must be drained. The area compressed bringing the skin in contact with the deep tissues. Any (squishy) fluid collections (or as we call them - seromas) must be drained aggressively and repeatedly until they go away. If they are not chronic, hard to eradicate seromas form which take away from the great potential results.

You should see your surgeon and see what he/she offers you.

Good Luck.

Dr. P. Aldea

Sacral area after lipo

+1

It sounds like you had a seroma that is still there.  It is difficult to treat this area at this point without possibly requiring a small excision of what may be a pseudobursa cavity.

Sacral lump after liposuction

+1

You should see your surgeon and possibly with an examination it can be determined if it is collagen buildup or a chronic seroma.  Sometimes a light shining on the skin (transillumination) over the lump can tell the doctor if there is fluid in there without having to place a needle. If it still not clear, possibly you can get an ultrasound to determine the same. If fluid is there then the seroma should be treated.

Seroma after liposuction.

+1

Hi.

I am afraid this is probably internal scar tissue because of chronic seroma.  I doubt that further liposuction will help, because this is not fat.

The lesson is that seromas have to be treated very vigorously.