S/P Double Mastectomies: 650CC Placed to Achieve a Large C - They Came out Large B

Not much contour to them. My PS is going to do a double implant exchange. I'm S/P 2.5 months. Are we waiting long enough before we exchange the implants. Will a bigger implant give me the large C I want?

Breast reconstruction with implants

+1

The quality of your soft tissues is the greatest factor in determing the size of the implant, its contour, and timing the intervention.  2.5 months is usually sufficient timing to perform the implant exchange.  I would recommend a focus on contour and not size in your reconstruction. 

Montreal Plastic Surgeon

The Cup You Want

+1

Dont be focused on the cup you want. Remember that depending on what store you buy your bra the cup size can vary. With reconstruction proportionality is the key. Width, projection etc. are reconstructive concepts that a PS can work with. 2.5 months sounds fine. I will not adjust for at least 6-8weeks. You need time for it to settle. As for the projection not being good, some times when you just exchange the implant but leave the space the same the larger implant will push forward and project better. Sometimes you need an expander again to reshape the projection. Good Luck.

Paul Albear, MD

Breast reconstruction

+1

I agree that timing is ok. Silicone maxs out at 800cc and saline at 960cc. I use high profile implants for reconstruction to maximize contour. It is difficult to achieve adequate cup size and contour when patients are larger. I do not see your height/weight/etc. The reconstructed breast also always has a more concave shape and does not fill out the bra cup as well as a natural breast. Without seeing you it is not possible to say if the increase in size with meet your personal desires.

Michael Hueneke, MD

Breast reconstruction

+1

Placing 650 cc implants for breast reconstruction should give you a decent cup size. I am a bit surprised that they are only giving you a B? 

Breast reconstruction

+1
The 650cc implant you have is quite large and should give you a c cup unless you have a very wide chest diameter. The implants only go to 800cc so there is a limit to what you can expect

David L. Abramson, MD

Best to avoid very large implants in breast reconstruction.

+1

Hi.

Bigger implants will not give you better shape, and can look more fake and too full on top.  The shape of the breasts is determined by the tightness of the skin.  So it's best to accept the limitations, and aim for the best possible shape, rather than a particular cup size.

It's ok to try revision after two and a half months.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)