Can a Rhinoplasty/Septoplasty Correct the Outside Look of my Sons Nose?

my 15 old boy nose has adeviated nasal sepyum.he has difficultes in breathing +avery small deviation in the out look the dr told me he needs 2 operations one enternal [septoplasty,submucoucesresection tuberinate,completeor partial/is this operation sufficint to also correct the ouside look of the small deviation of his look?

plz inform me or he needs aplastic surgery but i,m afraid for this cause his nose is beautifuuland i don,t want him to be costomized only the small deviation

Septoplasty can't effect external appearance of the nose.

+1

Let me reassure you that a Septoplasty and turbiante resection or modification is designed to correct internal septal deviations and enlarged turbiantes for improved airway and breathing.  These procedures alone have no effect on the outside appearance to the nose.  A Rhinoplasty , which does change the outside look of the nose has a different set of incisions and tissue manipulation, than a Septoplasty.  Be very clear with the surgeon that you do not want a Rhinoplasty.

Yes absolutely

+1

The rhinoplasty procedure is performed to change the appearance of the nose. It can reduce or increase the size of the nose, change the shape of the tip, narrow the width of the nostrils, also change the angle between the nose and the upper lip. The procedure is customized to the individual needs of every patient. The septoplasty is a surgical procedure to correct the breathing problems caused by deviated septum. The deviated septum can interfere with the air passage through the nose. Septoplasty can be performed in conjunction with rhinoplasty at the same time. 

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Rhinoplasty and septoplasty

+1

If the nose externally looks ok, then certainly only the septum can be manipulated to correct the deviation. Sometimes grafts are placed to bolster the septum and this may widen the middle vault a bit.

Improving Function and Appearance in Nasal Surgery

+1

Breathing can be improved with a septoplasty and turbinate reduction without changing nasal appearance. A rhinoplasty to change the external nose is not necessary..

Septoplasty can fix deviation

+1

Septoplasty can correct for nasal deviation, depending on how deviated his nose is from the outside.  If straightening the septum internally does not correct the external deviation, additional support can be added internally to do so.  This can be done at the same time as Septoplasty.  The Turbinectomy does not effect the appearance of the nose externally at all, only improves airway.

Leif L. Rogers, MD, FACS

A Septoplasty Does Not Significantly Change The Outer Appearance Of The Nose

+1

A septoplasty is an internal nose operation that only affects the function or breathing of the nose. It can change how the columella appears (strip of skin between the nostrils) if the end of the septum is obviously deviated. This can remove a bulge or bump that can appear inside one of the nostrils and make a twisted columella more straight. But it will not change the tip or any other external features of the nose. Conversely, a rhinoplasty is done to change the outer appearance of the nose. It is not done with the primary benefit of improving breathing through the nose although certain manuevers can help that also. (e.g., lifted up the tip)

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Will septoplasty correct external nasal deformity?

+1

Septoplasty and turbinate surgery is performed to correct breathing problem. I am unaware that it can correct external nasal deformity. In general, to correct a nasal deformity a septorhinoplasty is needed. This can be done as a single procedure.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Septoplasty +/- Rhinoplasty

+1

The purpose of a "septoplasty" is to straighten or eliminate the curved/deviated inside dividing cartilage of the nose called the septum.  On the other hand, a "rhinoplasty"  is, most commonly, a cosmetic changing/improvement to the outside appearance of the nose.  Your son need benefit from only a septoplasty if you and he are already satisfied with the appearance of his nose. 

Ryan Stanton, MD

Rhinoplasty vs septoplasty

+1

Dear Amaline, if you like the appearance of your son's nose  then he would not need a rhinoplasty.   The septoplasty and turbinate resection should help his breathing problem.  Discuss your wishes with your son's doctor, I'm certain he will agree.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

+1

You should have the doctor do what you want him to do. Your son's problem is deviated septum and enlarged turbinates, then have an Otolaryngologist do those to improve his breathing.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon