Ruptured Silicone Implant After 25 Years? (photo)

I am 56 years old and I found out today that one of my implants has ruptured. I had them put ni, in 1987 so it's been 25 years. I am hesitant to get tem replaced. Can I expect to have relatively natural looking breats if I don't have any more implants put in? 1987 before and after and current. Thank you everyone.

Natural Breasts

+2

First and foremost the implants need to be removed.  Most likely the breast will have a "natural" shape (more fullness below the nipple than above).  There is no crime to have the implants removed and observe how the breasts respond and if you desire more fullness then implants can be placed at a later date.

Dr. ES

Removing a ruptured gel implant

+1

There is no question that the implant needs to be removed. It will not improve on its own and will potentially get worse over time. Leading to infection and silicone gel graulomas. It would be your choice to have the implants replace or accept the appearance of your breast with the implants removed.  

Ruptured Breast Implant

+1

It should be fine not to have new implants put in. Worst case scenario, you can always have them removed and see how you feel without them completely. After a period of about 3-4 months, if you're absolutely not happy, you can have new implants put in.

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD

Implant removal and lift?

+1

Your breasts appear a bit low and once your implants are removed, they will probably hang lower and need to be lifted. I fyou do not want that, then you can have the impalnts removed and do the lift at a later time if you want.

Natural breasts possible after removing breast implants?

+1

I see that you have posted a current photo.   It looks like your nipples and breast tissue are positioned somewhat low, and I would guess that your skin is a bit loose (stretch marks visible?)   You may or may not like the appearance of your breasts after implant removal.  You may consider removing the implants with a breast lift at the same time, or staging the procedures and doing the removal first.   That way you can see if you like the "natural" appearance of your breasts without implants, and can do the lift later.  Without implants, you will lose the upper breast fullness that implants provide. 

Your breasts will not look like they did before the implants were placed - your tissue has aged, you may have had weight changes or pregnancies, and the implants cause changes themselves.

Good luck with your decision! 

Michelle Spring, MD

Ruptured Silicone Implant After 25 Years?

+1

Without some photos it is hard to guess whether or not your breasts would look natural without new implants.

If the implants are small and you have a significant quantity of breast tissue, your result would be better than if the implants are large and the breast tissue is sparse. 

Removal alone often results in a rather unattractive appearance to the breasts, which can be avoided by some combination of breast lift and/or implant replacement.

A consult with a plastic surgeon can help you sort out the options.

Thanks, best wishes.

Breast Implant Rupture

+1

After 25 years with silicone implants, one expects the capsule to be calcified and thick. The ruptured side has to be taken out with the capsule so that no contamination of the rest of the breast tissue. The scar will be bslightly longer and more involved surgery.

To replace or not to replace the implants is your choice, If you do not there is no way to tell how the breast will look.

If you replace you need to make few decisions

1: type of implant

2: above or below the muscle

3: size of implant

Ruptured implants

+1

With a known silicone breast implant, you will need it removed together with the capsule around it. It is called En-block removal. This will prevent the silicone from spreading. Once it is all removed and the area is clean, you will have a few options.

• You can opt to do nothing. The breast will heal and you will have a smaller and more ptotic breast.
  • If you like volume, you can replace with the new memory gel implants in a new sub-pectoral pocket.
  • If you are ptotic now, you may need a replacement of implant after the en-block removal and a vertical breast lift. No horizontal scars are ever needed in my experience.
  • You may want a vertical lift and no implant. The breast will look natural but smaller. 

I hope this helps you. Luis Vinas MD

Luis A. Vinas, MD

Will my breast look natural after implant removal?

+1

Unfortunately, I have a hard time determining this without the ability to see your photos.   I think you will feel more comfortable, but the decision to replace the implants will need to be based on your aesthetic goals and existing breast tissue.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Appearance of Breasts after Removal of Breasts Implants?

+1

Unfortunately, there is no way  to provide you with precise advice without direct examination or at least viewing pictures.

Generally speaking, what your breasts will look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.
Consulting with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in person may be helpful.