I Have a Ruptured Silicone Breast Implant and Need to Have It Removed. Options?

My doctor thinks I have a ruptured implant, gave me a referral but she only sees patients with cancer. The symptoms are quit severe and the pain is in my armpit aswell. How do I find a doctor experienced with explantation surgery. My research makes me believe that the implant has been leaking for several years and that the silicone could also be in my breast tissue and possible heading for the lymph nodes. I fell on breast a few years ago. It has been since then problems. Can you help me?

Diagnosis of a ruptured gel implant

+1

If you have a ruptured gel implant it should be removed along with a capsulectomy.  Sometimes it can be picked up on a mammogram or ultrasound other times it required an MRI.  None of the studies is 100% so you must be examined by a plastic surgeon as well to determine the risks vs. benefits of the procedure.  

Ruptured silicone breast implant and pain. Options?

+1

Best to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  A great place to look is the websites of the Amer. Society of Plastic Surgery (ASPS) and/or the Amer. Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS).  Some Plastic Surgeons may want a breast MRI to assess the situation.  Visit with him/her and together you will achieve your goals.

Web reference: http://www.jjrothmd.com/before-after/category/revisions

Should I have my ruptured silicone gel implant removed?

+1

I would encourage you to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon sooner than later to have your implants removed or exchanged. An MRI is very useful to determine whether your implants are ruptured. I like having this imaging prior to surgery in all my patients who have older implants in place and suspect a rupture. I feel if gives me a better road map as to what I will be dealing with when I get into the OR.  The ASPS website can also direct you to the proper surgeon in your area.

Web reference: http://stlcosmeticsurgery.com/

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

RUPTURED BREAST IMPLANTS

+1

There are many experienced breast implant surgeons in your area who are well qualified to assist you.  If you need a referral you can contact the American Society of Plastic Surgeons or the American Society Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons. 

Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

#Breast contouring, #BreastAugmentation, #Breastlift, #mastopexy, #Fatgraft to the breasts

+1

Dear mararose in Oregon City, OR 

Thank you for your question.  Your symptoms may be related to a capsule around the implant or some other process.  It would be good to have an ultrasound or MRI to confirm what is happening in that breast. There are a number of options and the best plan depends on your medical and surgical history.  The ASAP's website has many qualified Plastic Surgeons in your area.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Web reference: http://tmbcosmeticsurgery.com/

Find A Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

+1

The vast majority of surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery will be able to help you. Go to the that website to find someone in your area. To definitively make the diagnosis of a ruptured implant, I recommend an MRI. Good Luck!

Vacaville Plastic Surgeon

Ruptured Silicone Gel Implant?

+1

Your physician can order an MRI if you want to make the definitive diagnosis of a ruptured silicone gel implant. Otherwise, if you are planning on having the implants exchanged anyway,  an MRI will not be necessary.  Seek consultation with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. You can check with the American  Board of Plastic Surgery  and do your due diligence visiting with surgeons who have  significant experience  with breast implant surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastaugmentation.htm

Implant failure

+1

Silicone implant rupture can be

Intracapsular (Contained with in the capsule)

Extra capsular, (the capsule is also ruptured and free silicone is outside the capsule in the breast tissue)

MRI can diagnose the rupture accurately.

Expalntation need to remove the implant and capsule in total. The silicone must be cleaned completely. The capsule need to be sent to pathology.

The approach is an inframammary incision is much bigger than the one for augmentation, to remove the implant -capsule intact if possible.

The use of Harmonic scalpel decreases the perforation of the capsule and spread of silicone to contaminate the breast tissue. Thae Harmonic scalpel uses ultrasound for seperating the capsule from the breast tissue.