Ruptured Saline Implant Hurts, How Harmful to Leave in?

My 2006 saline implant ruptured and deflated very quickly two wks ago. I was told my ins would cover if medically necessary. I have been informed its not medically necessary. But it hurts and looks like it is going to come through my skin. I have also been told of possible bacteria? Do all doctorys say its ok for this deflated object just to stay there and hurt or what an I do to make this issue more pressing to my insurance. I don't expect them to pay all but I think, it is harmful to leave???

Removal of Ruptured Breast Implants?

+2

Given that you are having symptoms associated with the deflated breast implants  you should have them removed.

If you wish to have the implant removal cover to your health insurance you may need to be very persistent. The first step would be to find a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon in your area to support you with a letter documenting medical necessity.

Risk in leaving a ruptured saline filled implant alone

+1

A ruptured saline implant can be removed under local anesthesia.  There is really no risk in leaving it alone unless it is causing stress to the overlying breast tissue.  In this case it should be removed.  

Implant removal

+1

If the implant has ruptured, and you have pain, it is best to remove them and either exchange them or not replace them. It is up to you.

Should I Remove My Ruptured Implant?

+1

If you are having pain, then you should have the implant removed and if you wish, have it replaced. You may find it very difficult to get this covered by your insurance, but a letter from your surgeon stating medical necessity may be helpful. Good luck.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Fear of leaving a ruptured implant in....

+1

Thank you for your question. If you are having pain from the implant, it should be removed. The rupture of the saline implant in an of itself is not a reason for removal but as it stands it is just a foreign body in your breast and is not doing you any good. The procedure for removal is very simple and can be performed through the same incision that was used to place the implant. I agree with you that your insurance should pay for it but insurance companies are very devious and will always find a way not to pay.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon