Ruptured Implants and Leaking Silicone, SHould They Be Removed?

My breast implants have ruptured, confirmed by a mammogram, which was discovered that the silicone has gone into the milk ducts. Does this need to be removed. My new surgeon just suggests to remove the old implants and put new ones in. I am worried about the silicone in the actual breast tissue.

Remove ruptured silicone gel implant

+1

If you have a confirmed ruptured silicone implant made prior to 1999 then there is no question that is should be removed along with a capsulectomy.  If not removed then there is a high likely hood of developing other  problems such as a silicone granuloma or an infection.  

Ruptured Implants and Leaking Silicone

+1

Sorry for your complication, and this is a difficult situation for both you and your surgeon. The implants should be removed and remove as much silicone as possible. During the explantation, the surgeon can determine if the better course is to leave the implants out or replace the implants. The amount of loose silicone material will influence the decision.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Ruptured Silicone Gel Implant Treatment?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you are experiencing. Generally, I would agree with your surgeon's plan. Trying to remove all silicone material identified by mammography or MRI  may result in you having a mastectomy or otherwise significantly deforming operation.

Although not a perfect solution, you may be better off simply removing as much of the silicone material as possible (without deforming the breasts)  and be re-augmenting the breasts if you wish.

Ruptured silicone implants

+1

Ruptured silicone implants can be intracapsular or extracapsular. Your case seems to be extracapsular rupture with silicone in the breast tissue.

The ruptured implant needs to be removed, grosslt identified silicone can be removed. Then you have the option of no replacement, or replace with silicone implant os saline implant.

Ruptured implants

+1

Usually if implants are ruptured, they should be removed and if you desire replaced.  This is a fairly standard procedure.

Some of the silicone may not be removed

+1

This is a very tough situation for the surgeon.  Removing the ruptured implant can be accomplished.  What the mammogram says about migrating silicone may or may not have any bearing on what the surgeon will find.  In general if this is an older implant that was made before the newest generation of cohesive styles came along then it might be that some of the particles have indeed moved out of the scar capsule.  Your surgeon will do all they can to remove them but there is no certainty about that.  

The best thing I can tell you is that there is often no direct bearing between what a mammogram says and what the surgeon will find.  Make sure your surgeon has a lot of experince with this.  if not shop around until you find one who has.

Oh and one more thing.  The newer cohesive implants behave differently than the older generations.  If the outer shell breaks the inner product is not liquid so it stays nicely inside the scar pocket until the surgeon takes it all out.

Phillip C. Haeck, MD