Why Not Get a Ruptured Implant Out?

I want to answer this buy telling you it is almost as expensive to get them out as it is to putting them in and most insurances will not pay any of this, what is a person to do if they do not have this kind of money?

Ruptured implant removal

+1

There is no question that the implant needs to be removed. It will not improve on its own and will potentially get worse over time. Leading to infection and silicone gel graulomas. The capsule does not always have to be removed. This is an individual decision between you and your plastic surgeon.  This would make the cost more since it requires anesthesia.  

Saving Money to Get Implants Out

+1

Simple Explantation or implant removal without capsulectomy can be performed in many cases under local anesthesia alone or with Twilight anesthesia especially for calm patients without significant medical problems.. Many Plastic Surgeons use either an Office OR, free standing outpatient surgical suite which is less expensive than using a hospital OR. Also if the anesthesiologist is not involved this also saves you some money.

Make sure you check with your implant company to see if they are under the warranty period for rupture. If so this may save you substantial monies

If the cost is the only reason your are considering waiting to have this surgery done, then I recommend that you consider contacting a teaching  program at one of the major University Plastic Surgical Residency clinics. The surgeries are most often performed with University Faculty supervision at low cost to the patient

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Removing Ruptured Breast Implant

+1

Although it is not possible to comment on your situation precisely,  generally speaking it is best to remove ruptured breast implants. Also, generally speaking removal breast implants tends to cause significant less than breast  augmentation surgery. Usually the cost of surgery will depend on the length of surgery and/or the type of anesthesia used.

I would suggest in-person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons for more precise recommendations.

Ruptured Implant

+1

While the costs to remove implants can be expensive, you may be able to have reimbursement from the breast implant company if the implants are still under warranty. Consult with your implanting surgeon to determine if you would eligible for coverage.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

What to do with a ruptured breast implant.

+1

If you have a ruptured breast implant then any plastic surgeon would encourage you to have it removed especially if it is a silicone implant.  A ruptured (and completely deflated) saline implant doesn't pose any risk or problem at all.  A ruptured silicone implant will create significant tissue irritation and scar hardening.

Your financial issues are unfortunate, but despite the financial hardship you still want the best treatment.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Cost of implant removal.

+1

In general, removal of breast implants is relatively in expensive compared to implant placement. I would anticipate the cost would go up if you have ruptured silicone implant and require capsulectomy. 

Moneer Jaibaji, MD