Rupture Implant, (Saline Overs) Planning on Another Baby, Should I Wait to Have It Fixed?

Ruptured Implant

+2

If only one implant is ruptured you may want to consider replacing it.  Tissues will contract over time and after pregnancy you may breastfeed and the time to replacement could be considerable.  Replacing the implant would allow both breasts to adapt to your body changes symmetrically.  I hope this helps.

Rupture Breast Implants And Pregnancy Plans?

+1

Your situation can be handled in several different ways.  For most patients who have a breast implant deflation I suggest removal/replacement within a few weeks in order to prevent tissue contraction and breast asymmetry. If you are planning on having a pregnancy in the very near future,  waiting on removal/replacement is an option. 

Ultimately it will be your decision that should be based on your life circumstances after a full  detailed discussion with your plastic surgeon.

Replace implant

+1

The most important thing to know  is that you are not in any health danger keeping the ruptured implant in.  The volume asymmetry may bother your more.  If pregnancy is near in your future waiting is not foolish.  If not, the removal and replacement is a pretty straight forward procedure.  Good luck

Rodger Wade Pielet, MD (in memoriam)

Wait and maybe you can avoid more surgery

+1

There is a lot that goes in to this question.  I do not believe in placing implant on top of the muscle so I don't' like your first surgery.  I often see women that had a nice result after the initial surgery, then have visible rippling after a pregnancy that often gets worse with subsequent pregnancies.  So, if you replace it now (and BTW - the implants will be provided by the company for no or little cost in this situation because you had a deflation) and they need fixed after pregnancy, you may have to buy the next set yourself.  The alternative is to get the deflation documented, then consider having the other implant deflated so that you're not lop-sided.  There is likely nothing wrong with leaving deflated implants in your breast if you have a plan for replacement.  Then, get through your pregnancy and see what you need. Depending on what happens, you may instead need the implants placed under the muscle and possibly a lift.  It's hard to tell what will happen to your breast with the next pregnancy so this would be the most predictable way to only have to have 1 more surgery.  Removal of both of your implants now is certainly an option as well, just make sure that you can get your replacements from the company when the time comes.  I would worry that the warranty information may get lost in translation if you did it that way...  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

+1

Reading all the expert posters leads me to believe you need in person examination ASAP. If you were my personal patient I would remove the ruptured implant immediately. Whether you replace or leave explanted is your decision. I might recommend removal of the non ruptured one also. Than have your pregnancy and breast feeding, after that time you can have replacement. 

PS removal can be under local. 

Its your choice

+1

There is no right or wrong answer.  This is a decision you need to make.  If your planning on getting pregnant within a month or two then I would wait (but remember you will be asymmetric for a long time) then I would wait, otherwise I would replace the implant.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Broken saline implants can be uncomfortable!

+1

Hi Lu: While there is no medical urgency to replace a deflated saline implant, from a woman's viewpoint, it can seem like a "social emergency". While pregnancy is a great unknown in terms of body changes that may occur, pregnancy alone will provide you with plenty of body image challenges to deal with...you certainly don't need a big difference in size between your breasts as well. Also, when the implant fully deflates, the bag crinkles up and the pointy part of the folded bag can rub and be painful. Once you are pregnant, it would be unwise to deal with a broken implant....so I would advise that you consider replacement or removal in plenty of time before you get pregnant again. Good luck on both implant and your pregnancy plans! Dr. H

Mary C. Herte, MD

Ruptured implants

+1

If you have ruptured  implants, I would suggest having them replaced before you consider getting pregnant.  Leaving a ruptured implant is probably not a good thing.

May want to wait

+1
You may want to wait till after pregnancy. If you are very asymmetric because of one side deflation, you have the othe side deflated by your surgeon in the office. This way you can wait till after pregnancy.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

+1

If you are going to have your child in the coming 6-8 months, I would wait until you are done breast feeding him/her. That would mean that once the implants are replaced that the need for a breast lift could be evaluated based on the "after-baby" appearance look and dimensions of your breasts. Replacing the implant before an impending pregnancy would benefit the surgeon more than you since the pregnancy may totally change the appearance of your breasts.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter A Aldea