Running Too Soon?

I had BA 3 1/2 weeks ago. I had 380 ccs put in each breast. I am a runner. I was advised not to run until my post op visit next week. I went power walking tonight and ran maybe a mile. I felt a little pang in my right breast and totally freaked out. I stopped immediatley and walked the rest of the way. I am worried that I may have done damage to my breast possibly causing to start bottoming out. Nothing hurts right now. Could this little bit of exercise have caused damage? Am I being paranoid?

Running 3.5 Weeks after Breast Augmentation

+2

Most plastic surgeons recommend 6 weeks wait before resuming running, although walking is usually OK.  If you have not noticed one breast larger than the other and the breasts look the same, you are likely OK, but you should return to your plastic surgeon to confirm.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Running

+2

It is unlikely that you have done any permanent or significant damage to your breasts at this time. See your surgeon for follow up

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Running after breast augmentation

+2

Hello.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Usually, running should not be attempted until the surgeon assesses the recovery progress achieved by the patient and then clears her for such a type of exercise.

At this point, I cannot provide you with a definitive assurance that nothing has gone but based on your post only, it seems that you are safe.

Nonetheless, it is imperative that you stop performing any moderate-excessive physical exercise until you are cleared to do so by your surgeon as he/she knows the full details of your surgery and if he/she already urged you not to run then this recommendation was provided to you for a well-founded reason.

I hope this helps and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Running after Breast Augmentation #breastimplants

+1

I doubt you harmed anything but we tell our patients not to do certain things because we know all too well how things can go wrong. I would not do anymore exercise until your surgeon tells you it is ok.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Activity after Breast Augmentation

+1

I advise patients not to do heavy exercising for six weeks after a breast augmentation. I allow light exercise starting two weeks after the surgery. You will feel good quickly, but take it easy for a while and allow your body some time to heal. I do not think that what you did will cause your breast to start bottoming out.

Michael Horn, MD

Post-op healing

+1

It takes 6 weeks for the scar tissue around the implant to mature. That is why most surgeons tell patients to avoid weight lifting or strenuous exercise for 6 weeks. I allow my patients to ride a stationary bike, or walk at 3-4 weeks, but no jogging for 6 weeks.

You are going to be fine, the pain you experienced is most likely nothing to worry about, but talk to your surgeon

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Running after breast augmentation

+1

I usually allow my breast augmentations the opportunity to do light aerobic exercise by about 3-4 weeks after surgery provided that they are healing well.  It really is a judgment call.  Best to ask your doctor.

Running too soon.

+1

I'm sure you are fine.  But to be sure, just visit with your PS for a checkup.  Please follow your plastic surgeon's postoperative care and activity instructions.  And be patient with your healing.  I'm sure you'll love your results!

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Running Too Soon?

+1

Very unlikely that you could have done any damage if all looks and feels ok.

By in large the limitations on activity are conservative, with safety in mind. It is not as if running at 25 days is risky and at 28 days is safe. Discuss return to activity with your surgeon when you have your post op appointment.