Can I Run 2 Weeks After Rhinoplasty?

I had rhinoplasty exactly 2 weeks ago. Two days ago I started running on the treadmill, but only ran for 20 minutes instead of my usual 60 minutes of running. I had no pain or discomfort while running, so yesterday I increased it to 30 minutes, again with no discomfort. I have pressure in my nose today, but it doesn't seem to be significantly more swollen. Is this a cause of the running from the day before or just sinuses and other factors? Can I resume my running or will it harm my results?

Rhinoplasty

+3

dont run epecially on a treadmill. You could fall off! I allow my patients only brisk walking on a solid surface until  1 month.

Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Light exercise can begin two weeks after nasal surgery

+3

Rest assured that you have not done any damage to your nose.  Yes, it is more sensitive and activity may increase your discomfort but unless you physically hit the nose, activity will not cause it to shift or move.  Thanks for the great question, this is one that many patients have.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Going on a Run Post Rhinoplasty

+1
I generally advise my patients to refrain from any exercise, strenuous or not, for at least the first 10 days after a nose job. After this time, going on a light to moderate walk can actually have positive effects on your recovery and can make swelling go down. Running, however, involves higher-impact training, and the pressure on your nose can slow down or even reverse the progress of your recovery. 

Sam Rizk, MD

Running aftre rhinoplasty

+1

I would avoid exercise including running for at least three to four weeks following rhinoplasty.  It takes at least that amount of time for the blood vessels to heal well enough to be able to withstand the increased blood pressure during exercise.  You may have gotten away with it at two weeks post op, but I'd hold off on doing any more running for at least a couple of more weeks.  Be careful.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after rhinoplasty

+1

I would not run if your rhinoplasty was only 2 weeks ago. While you really don't have any risk of bleeding, exercise can cause the nasal tissues to swell. I ask my patients to wait at least 3 weeks, but even longer is great.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Working out after surgery?

+1

I tell my patients to try and avoid intense exercise for around 6 weeks.  That way the patient has healed for a number of weeks and is somewhat back to a normal routine.  The longer the patient waits to stay out of physical activities the health risks decrease.  If you really want to get back into your daily workout routine I recommend you start by slowly walking the track or around your neighborhood and gradually work yourself up after 2 weeks from surgery.  Try not to overwork yourself.  The best thing you can do for your body is to let it heal.

Sam Speron, MD

Exercise 2 Weeks after Rhinoplasty

+1

I usually tell my patients they can begin strenuous activities 2 weeks after rhinoplasty as long as there is no risk of nasal trauma. Having said that, listen to your body and your surgeon. You've done no harm, but you're feeling pressure because nasal circulation is not normal. Decrease the intensity and duration of the workouts. Most important follow your surgeon's instructions. 

Working out after rhinoplasty

+1

Two to three weeks is reasonable to avoid heavy exertion.  For activities that may involve injury to the nose, i.e., basketball, etc., I would wait at least 2 months.

Pradeep K. Sinha, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty: Common Questions

+1
The timing in which one resumes exercise is always of concern. At a 2 week time period you can start to return to your workout schedule, but this should be limited over the next week or two as it can prolong the swelling in your nose from surgery. The impact of returning to a full schedule of exercise will be prolonged swelling at the site of surgery. Be patient, be healthy and be well.

Be healthy and be well,
James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

Exercise ad Rhinoplasty

+1

Early after surgery it is important to avoid, strenuous activities, bending over and straining. This will increase nasal swelling and can cause bleeding. Walking is fine. At two weeks it is ok to start light exercise. Easing into it is best.

If your nose is feeling dry, a saline spray can help. This too can help avoid nose bleeds.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon