Does the Rule of One Syringe Per Client Apply to Radiesse Filler?

Are MA's allowed to use mixing hubs to make full syringes of radiesse from partial used syringes from other clients to then be used on you? I was at a highly reputable medspa today when I asked for my radiesse touch up on my nose. I thought I had a remaining 3/4 of a syringe, but the assistant let it slip that they don't save your original to use on you. I was injected by one of these partially used syringes, should that pose a concern to me? Was it ethical for him to want to charge me more $?

Radiesse

+2

The rule is one syringe per patient. To mix partial syringes for patient use is unethical and dangerous. Make certain your surgeon is a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon, or Dermatologist. I would also suggest that you find a new surgeon immediately!

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unused Radiesse

+2

Unused Radiesse or any other filler should NEVER be shared between patients and should NEVER be saved.  This is certainly not a reputable place where you are going and you are putting your safety at considerable risk.  Please seek out a Board-certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon in the future who will put you safety first.

Lisa Kates, MD
Annapolis Dermatologist

Unused filler

+1

I am not going to address the question of ethics regarding the dollars.  But a partially used filler should NEVER be used for a different patient

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Radiesse filler

+1

One syringe per patient is the standard.  There is no reason a syringe should be used on 2 different people.  There is a risk of contamination, though small, which can cause infection. 

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

One Syringe- One person?

+1

Radiesse is a filler which has many advantages.  One disadvantage is that it can not be saved or stored for future use for touch ups.  The product does not reliably store well and is not a recommended practice.

In addition, one syringe should only be used for one patient is an absolute in any practice.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sharing Radiesse

+1

One syringe=One patient. Not much else to say.  Sharing syringes of Radiesse between patients isn't ethical or advisable...and not reputable. 

Grant Stevens, MD

Fillers Should Not Be Shared!

+1

Ben, thanks for asking this question.  Because of the risk of transmissible diseases, such as Hepatitis and HIV, syringes of fillers-- Radiesse, Juvederm, Sculptra, Restylane, etc-- should NEVER be shared or mixed with another persons.  This is completely inappropriate, unethical, and potentially harmful.  Always insure your care is being given by a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon, and beware of the many "Medi-spas" that are popping up everywhere.

Jeffrey C. Poole, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Unethical use of Radiesse

+1

This is highly unethical, and should never be done. I have a simple rule: one patient for each syringe. Sadly, I'm not surprised that this indeed happens. My advice to you is to stay far, far away from this medspa. This sounds like a very dangerous thing to do.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse should never be shared

+1

It is absolutely NOT recommended that you share syringes of any filler.  Once a syringe has been open, there is a risk of bacterial contamination, even if it is used on the same person again.  For this reason, we do not routinely save syringes for patients in our clinic.  If it has been used on other patients prior to you, there is an even higher risks for cross contamination, including HIV and hepatitis.  I would find a reputable board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for your treatments in the future.  If it is not necessary for you to have an entire syringe for a treatment, your doctor can offer you smaller volumes (for example, radiesse comes in 0.3cc, 0.8cc, and 1.5cc.)  I would also encourage you to report this to the Medical Board of California to further investigate this for the safety of other patients.  

Dr. Margaret Mann

Margaret Mann, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse

+1

Hello and thank you for the question.

If what you are describing is accurate, this is highly unethical and potentially dangerous as it puts clients at risk for infectious transmission of disease. I recommend finding another source for your aesthetic needs.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD