Can rubbing/pushing on your nose cause a deviated septum?

For a few years I struggled with body dysmorphia. I was 16 and had no money to fix my nose. So I read online that you could flatten your nose bump with fingers. So I constantly rubbed/massaged my nos bridgee a little, nothing painful. 6 months ago I noticed I couldn't breathe thru my right nostril and today i still cant! :( Could i have deviated my septum by pressing on my nose bridge? or changed my nose cosmetics? if so (if its deviated to the right, can I push it back to the left?)

Effects of Pressing on Nose

+1
Dear popoppy20:

Thank you for sharing your question. Pressing on your nose will not change the shape of the septum or the outside appearance of your nose. In addition to a deviated septum, there are many other causes of difficulty breathing through your nose. If you are having breathing problems, please see a physician to help you evaluate the cause and determine the best treatment options.

Amy K Hsu

Long term effects of pushing on nose

+1
Simply pushing on your nose is not enough force to create septal deviation.  Breaking or fracturing your nose would be necessary to create such a change.  If you have a deviated septum, it was likely present before the nasal manipulation.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD