Can a Rubber Band Be Worn Directly over the Teeth (No Buttons) Under Invisalign Aligners in Order to Close a Gap ?

Isn't it harmful both for the teeth and the gum to put elastics DIRECTLY over the teeth (no buttons) under an invisalign aligner in order to close a gap? I am really worried about my gum. I have the impression that the elastics put too much pressure and might cause a periodontal disease as I already have receding gums.

Elastics without buttons would need to be monitored closely

+1

If the elastic slips under the gum it can cause damage. Mention your concern to your doctor so you can discuss alternatives.

San Ramon Orthodontist