I Had Rt Mastectomy on 8/15. I Still Have a JP Drain?

I still have a JP drain that's putting out 100-110cc a day. Dr changed antibiotic a week ago. Is it normal to still have a JP drain

Drain in for 2 months

+1

I am sorry to hear you have had a drain in for so long and it is not normal to have this occur. Continual drainage may be a sign of poor lymphatics, an infection, or perhaps a cavity has developed around the fluid - a seroma cavity. In this case, the cavity needs to be removed and then it should close off and stop producing fluid. Talk with you surgeons about options and good luck!

Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Right mastectomy and drain

+1

If you drain is in this long, it is worrisome. It may represent poor lymphatic drainage or even infection. Best to check it out.

Is it Normal to Have Drains 2 months after Mastectomy?

+1

In my experience there is a concern if drains are required for two months after mastectomy. Factors that may contribute to excessive and prolonged drainage might be:

1. The medical condition of the patient
  2. Excessive lymph drainage if lymph node dissection was performed
  3. A possible infection

I am sure your physician is monitoring you well. I would suggest a culture of the drainage fluid to rule out an infection that might be contributing to the prolonged drainage. Also, a pressure vest or Bra might be helpful. This is frustrating but it will resolve with time.

Joseph Rucker, MD, FACS
Eau Claire Plastic Surgeon