Is It Routine to Pay for Bilateral Breast Reduction Surgery in Full Prior to Surgery?

Am considering bilateral breast reduction which insurance won't cover as I'm just below the required cc amount. Surgeon has given me an estimate including his fee, the facility fee, and the anesthesia fee, and indicated that payment is due and payable 10 business days prior to surgery. Is this a normal request? (I normally don't pay in full for anything until I've received the product or at least would pay half and then half when service/product is delivered.) Thank you for your time.

Is It Normal To Pay For Elective Surgery "Up Front?"

+2

Dear JDnDover, Yes, it is customary to pay for your elective surgery prior to having your procedure.  Because your surgery is elective and not covered by your insurance carrier, you are responsible for its costs.  Since your surgeon will be required to pay the operating room expenses including the costs for the staff and also your anesthesia costs before your surgery, your surgeon will ask for these charges to be covered prior to performing your procedure.  If you are having trouble meeting the costs of your procedure, ask your plastic surgeon's office if they participate in any of the  numerous financing programs for elective surgery which may be able to assist your in covering your charges.  Hope this helps.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Paying for Elective Surgery Upfront

+2

Yes, I believe it is customary practice to receive payment in full prior to elective plastic surgery.  In my practice, the patients (who are not going through insurance) pay in full prior to surgery so that my office can pay the other individuals involved with the procedure as well as the surgery center, supplies, etc.

It is Routine to Pay for Elective Surgery in Advance

+1

It is the norm to pay in full prior to elective procedures. A few offices offer their own financing or will help with getting approval from an outside source. There are many expenses that must be paid in advance by the surgeon (especially if the surgeon has his or her own surgery center), such as the anesthesiologist, operating room staff, supplies, etc. Hope this helps.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

+1

I have been in private plastic surgery practice for over 30 years, it is the standard to "pay in full" prior to ANY cosmetic operation. I'm a bit surprised you did not know or understand this. It is the norm not the unusual. If you are not sure about doing this pre payment than maybe you should reconsider having the operation. Best to you. 

Normal to pay before surgery?

+1

Yes, it is advisable to pay in full prior to the procedure.  You do not want to deal with this after surgery.  You need to be focused on healing, following instructions, enjoying your developing result, and rehabilitating to normal activity.  Fulfilling your payment obligation before the doctors fulfill their service obligation is the only way to guarantee fair exchange in the case of aesthetic surgery.

Steve Laverson, MD

Elective surgery costs

+1

It is the "norm" for patients to pay in advance for elective surgery.  This is a common practice around the country.

Prepayment fo surgery not covered by insurance

+1
The usual practice for cosmetic surgery is to require payment in advance of the procedure. The plastic surgeon must pay the surgicenter and anesthesia on the date of surgery. Let me ask you: when you buy a dress, do you pay half and then the balance after you've worn it? Would you expect the surgeon to put in half the usual effort if he suspects that you may not pay the remainder of the fee? I have a detailed payment and cancellation policy which patients are required to read and sign prior to scheduling. Believe me, most plastic surgeons are much more flexible about rescheduling than are the airlines! When a surgery is scheduled, the surgeon sets aside the time for you and cannot substitute another patient at the last moment because pretesting and clearance are usually required.

Robert L. Kraft, MD