Round or Teardrop Implant? (photo)

I'm a 27 year old mother whose breasts have dropped since breastfeeding. My nipples seem to be above my breast crease and I really don't want a breast lift. I am looking to restore volume under the nipple and regain some upper fullness. Would a round or tear drop implant be best? Are there any other recommendations?

Avoid implants

+1

Your breasts appear quite large.  I do not recommend implants but a mastopexy instead.  I know you do not want a lift because most women are terrified by the ugly vertical scars of the lollipop or boat anchor shaped incisions.  There is a new technique called The Mini Ultimate Breast Lift that reshapes your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevates them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.  If you still insisted on more volume, fat transfer can be done to increase you slightly.  However, your breasts have adequate volume and implants would only lead to complications in the future.  Remember 22% of breast augmentation patients have revisions done within 2 years of surgery.        

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Round or anatomical implants?

+1

From your pictures I think a round implant would work best. This will give you much more fullness in the upper pole and since you already have a lot of breast tissue your shape will remain very natural. An anatomical implant will not add much to your upper pole and really jsut project your gland out farther.

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Round vs. Teardrop

+1

If your nipples are above the crease, no lift would be needed. Implants would provide you with more upper pole fullness as well as overall volume, and a round implant would give you the best increase in the upper pole. Also, placing a larger rather than a smaller implant would give you a small amount of "lift" rather than going through that actual procedure.

Louis C. Cutolo, Jr., MD, FACS

Round or Teardrop Implant?

+1

From the small responses the sampling recommend over 90% using round implants in your case. I agree.///

Choice of implant shape

+1

Hi Whitsundays

Your choice of implant shape is really dependent upon where you want extra volume distributed. Your priority appears to be restoring volume in the lower pole (under the nipple) with secondary gains of upper pole fullness. That screams 'anatomical implant' to surgeons that have been using both round & anatomical implants regularly.

The use of a high (or extra high) projecting anatomical implant will fill out your lower pole and create the optical illusion of lifting your nipple higher on your breast base (true numbers do not change, but relative position does).

However the things you may want to consider about round implants are that they do not rotate (FDA Core & larger published studies in the main Plastic Surgery Journal show an incidence of 0-2.7% or 1/37), and that generally speaking women under 30 are happier with round implants. I believe that this satisfaction has more to do with a difference between what they (women under 30) think they want and tell their surgeons that they want, and what they truly are looking for.

It is useful to browse a few surgeons galleries to work out what look you are really after.

Good Luck

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Gavin Sandercoe, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Round or teardrop implants

+1

In general, I prefer round implants over teardrop because the teardrop implants can shift in the pocket.

Implant type

+1

Definitely a round implant would provide the fullness of the upper pole without overfilling the entire breast. The Vectra 3-D imaging computer system would help you visualize the final result with different style and size implants.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Round or teardrop

+1

Based on your pictures, in my opinion the right choice will be a round implant, this will give you more projection and fullness on the upper fullness in your case in particular. Nevertheless, a consultation is need it.

Francisco Sauceda, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Round or Teardrop Implant

+1

Although an actual exam might result in a different opinion, based on the photos I don't think you need to be considering a lift, but just volume restoration, and I would favor a round implant under the muscle.

Better than on line opinions will be an actual consultation. All the best.