Nose Tip Looks Too Round After Rhinoplasty

I am 4 months post Rhinoplasty. The sides of my tip puff out, causing the lines of my nostrils to appear rather deep. I'm not sure if this is swelling or that the doctor just left cartilage (more on the right side), which just makes my nose look "chubbier" from the front and right side profile. I have a small lump on the right side, but my doctor hasn't said if this is swelling or what. I'm confused because he is a nasal surgeon with 40 years experience and should've done a better job. Please help!

Rhinoplasty - round tip

+1

I agree with you that the tip looks rounded.  At 4 months, most of the swelling has gone down.  I would definitely go back to your rhinoplasty surgeon to discuss your concerns.  If he thinks it is appropriate, he may want to revise your nose in the future. 

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Round, Asymmetrical Tip

+1

The picture shows the the round, asymmetrical tip you describe. If this does not improve as swelling resolves over the next 4-6 months you can have a revision to better define the tip. Be sure you're dicussing this with your surgeon.

Post rhinoplasty round tip

+1

Keep your surgeon informed about your concerns and be patient. You appear to have had a "reduction" type rhinoplasty, where the cartilages, which define the tip are made selectively reduced, so that the tip either appears more refined and/or upwardly inclined. At three months, all nasal tips are "boggy", which means that the nasal skin is accomodating to the smaller cartilaginous framework and in the process of shrinking to fit. Some physicians will inject very small amounts of steroid to accelerate the remodeling of the scar, however this is not entirely a "freebie", as steroids are potent drugs, which can cause spider veins, skin and fat atrophy, as well as depigmentation. In my practice, we photograph a lot, so that the patient can see a chronological progression. We do a lot of hand holding and wait for a minimum of 12 months before proposing further surgery. I know it's hard not to scrutinize your face excessively, but give it some time. Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Rhinoplasty; Rounding of Tip 4 Months After Surgery

+1

Hi Caitlin,

Discuss your concerns with your rhinoplasty surgeon.  If your tip continues to bother you, you may consider a revision rhinoplasty in a few months.  Sometimes it does take up to a year after surgery for everything to settle down.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD