Round Eyes After Lower Bleph - is This Permanent? (photo)

Hello, I had lower bleph 18 days ago and asked a separate question about it. Please look at my photos, as I am having alot of anxiety about my eyes. I have naturally almond shaped eyes and I love them. Now 18 days after the surgery it looks like my eyes are round and not almond shaped. It does not go with my big nose and the rest of the face, I look different. Is this going to resolve with time or is this permanent? Is it because scars pull lower eyelids down? Thank You!

Mild lower eyelid retraction

+4

You are correct in your assesment of your results. The lower lids do seem slightly lower and rounded laterally.

However you are quite early in your postoperative healing. The scarring which is pulling the eyelids down will soften with time and your end result may end up okay.

I agree with Dr. McKracken's recommendation. Sometimes, an injection of steroids and or anti scar medication [5-FU] may lessen the scarring tendencies, and this may be a good time to try  it. Upward massage will also be helpful.

Discuss these options with your surgeon, and if he is not comfortable, try a second opinion with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastic surgeon. You can find one at ASOPRS dot org.

Good luck

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Round Eyes After Lower Bleph - is This Permanent?

+3

The photos seem to show some lower eyelid malposition.  You should discuss this with the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your Eyelid Surgery.  He/she really should be the source of post-op evaluation, recommendations and post op care during this early post eyelid surgery phase.  

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Tight lids 18 days after lower lid rejuvenation

+3

It seems you are fairly young, and the transcojunctival approach might have been a good choice to reduce inherited fullness. Your photo show scleral show, the white showing above the lower lid, due to tightness. This is not an ectropian. At just 18 days, the tightness might improve with gentle upward massage. Any injections at this early date we feel might be meddlesome. Best to massage for three months and see how things settle in.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/eyelid-surgery

Lower eyelid retraction after blepharoplasty

+3

18 days after surgery is too early to know the ultimate outcome of the surgery as time may improve the position of the eyelid.  However, it may not improve as there seem to be tight skin pulling the eyelid down.  You need to give it time (at least 6 months) before deciding on any further corrective surgery.  In the meantime, lubricate your eyes.  There are also injections that help break up scar tissue and help lift the eyelid in the meantime.  Consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

+3

Thanks for the photos posted. Why did you not do a transconjun. lower lid blepharo. ??? It appears as an early temporary ectopion from swelling. Best to allow a few months to heal. 

Round eyes after surgery

+2

After a lower lid blepharoplasty, swelling is normal and the lwoer lid may be a  bit tight.  Often massage can help, but you should discuss this withyour surgeon first.

You did not need lower eyelid surgery.

+1

Most people with your issues can be effectively treatment with lower eyelid fillers.  You are demonstrating inferior scleral show and also you have a rotation of the lower eyelid margin so you can see the whitish lid margin which is now rolled out.  Eighteen days is very little time after surgery.  Some of these changes will soften, some changes will be more evident.  Unless you are experiencing dry eye symptoms, the best approach here is finger winking to push of the lower eyelid margin and time.  Once you are 6 to 12 months out from surgery, if you are dissatisfied with your appearance there are many specialized options for helping to restore the eye appearance.  There is nothing inherently wrong with the surgery that your surgeon performed.  It is a very common outcome.  However it is not an ideal out come.  Your frustration is very understandable.  My advice is to avoid the quick fixes that your surgeon might offer to you because you are unhappy with your appearance.  It is my observation that this post operative  surgical fiddling often makes things worse.  There is no simple fix for your issue.  You are welcome to look on my website to better understand these types of issues (lidlift dot com).

Change in Eye Shape After Eyelid Surgery

+1

It looks like your lower lids are slightly low on your eyeball.  Without examining you, I cannot tell if there is any scarring that could be causing this.  It may be that massage or injections could help.  Also, there are various procedures that can be done to bring your lower lids up.  I recommend that you express your concerns to your surgeon.  If they aren't able to help, I reccomend you find a member of the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery on their website, asoprs dot org.

Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon