Had Rotator Cuff Repair 6 Wks Ago. Bilateral Mastectomy Next Wk Due to Cancer. Would Immediate Reconstruction Be a Safe Option?

Breast Reconstruction after Rotator Cuff Surgery

+1

This should be very safe.  

I would get clearance from you surgeon and therapist and obtain their recommendations on how to care for the shoulder after your breast surgery.  

If there are any specific limitations, make sure to share them with your breast surgeons.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery!!

Dr. Gill

Would immediate recon be wise in my position?

+1

Difficult to answer without a full exam and details of your cancer, good luck with your treatments.

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Breast reconstruction after rotator cuff surgery

+1

It is probably ok to perform breast reconstruction after rotator cuff surgery six weeks ago. But it is definitely a good idea to discuss this with all your doctors.

Breast reconstruction after shoulder surgery

+1

It should be fine to proceed your breast surgery.  But I would check with your orthopedic surgeon to get clearance.   For your mastectomy and breast reconstruction, your arms will be placed in a certain position (approximately 45-60 degrees away from your chest wall).  Please make sure that is OK from the shoulder standpoint.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Breast reconstruction

+1

My personal opinion is yes it is safe and appropriate to proceed with breast reconstruction after rotator cuff surgery. You may want to consult the orthopedic and plastic surgeons as to when you can start the physical therapy for the shoulder. The physical therapy should be started as soon as it is safe.