Rotation vs. Rippling - What to Do?

I had a breast enlargement 4 year ago due to weight loss and lose breast skin. I am 5'5 and 7stone so very slim, i had 280cc textured implants over the muscle i was advised this due to excess skin droop. I was happy with the result but didnt like the rippling effect i was advised to change to a smooth textured implant of 325cc to try lesson the rippling the surgeon used the same pocket and underneath incision as before. I have now a serious case of flipping. the implant flips daily completly over.

Flipping or Rippling?

+2

If the implant flipping is not uncomfortable for you, consider doing nothing: this is not harmful.

If it does bother you, or if rippling persists, surgery to move the implant to the submuscular position might be a consideration.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Under muscle implants better in thin women

+1

I am surprised that the second implants wre not placed under the muscle, though as I have not seen you personally i can only speculate as to your surgeon's decision. I am not a fan of going over the muscle in cases of sagging (ptosis) since it often makes the sagging worse over time; if a lift is needed, it should be done. Since it is early, you would be wise to wait a few months and consult a surgeon experienced in revision breast surgery.

Richard Baxter, MD

Flipping Implants

+1

I wonder how long it is since your most recent surgery.  I would leave everything to settle for several months before making any long term decisions.  If your implant continues to flip (I think that you mean rotate by this), then the option would be to revise it and close down the pocket, put it submuscular, or change to a round implant.  You need to have the discussion with your surgeon about the pros and cons of further surgery.  Good luck.

Jonathan J. Staiano, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Rotation vs. Rippling - What to Do?

+1

Seek in person opinions to discuss your issues in detail. You may need a large implant to fill the pocket.  From MIAMI D. Darryl J. Blinski

Breast Implants, textured vs smooth implants, breast augmentation, rippling

+1

Dear sheffield UK in sheffield UK,

Your case is not easy.  the thin tissue on your breast- you may not be able to fix the rippling without adding some volume to the soft tissue envelope.  If you have a smooth implant in now..... i would leave it and consider micro fat grafting or Platelet Rich Plasma to help cover the rippling of the implant.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Rotation and rippling in a subglandular breast implant

+1

Your surgeon is correct that the skin will blend with the implant well in a subglandular pocket after weight loss. True too a textured implant may have more traction ripple in the breast. Your best solution is a moderate profile smooth round breast implant. We must assume that your implant is breast shaped or 'anatomic' or it would be unlikely that you would be able to detect if the implant was indeed rotating or flipping. Unless you wish to continue to turn and adjust the shaped implant, opt for the replacement and your troubles should be solved.

peterejohnsonmd

Flipping implants

+1

The smooth implants will move in the space. It sounds as if the correct orientation of the implants can be easily achieved with manipulation. If this is the case you can manage this on your own. To prevent this from happening at all, a surgical procedure with a position change to below the muscle would be the best option.

I would encourage you to return to your surgeon and discuss your concerns. I hope this was helpful.

Good luck

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Should not cause you a problem

+1

If an implant flips, there is no danger to you.  It may indicate that your pocket is slightly too large though.  If it is presenting a problem for you or is too uncomfortable, you should discuss this with your surgeon, although it will require surgery to fix.

Brian S. Glatt, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Flipping implant

+1

Flipping implants as long as they do not bother you can be left alone.  If you want it repositioned, it has to be done surgically.