Rotate Canines, Will Invisalign Work?

I am currently having invisalign and after reading many posts on the internet I am very unsure on the outcome. My canines are really rotated. I have recently got my first tray and I am getting the attachments on in a few days. I have very big attachments on all of my canines, will this help invisalign? Will I get my predicted outcome?

Be Patient

+2

Stay calm Shona!!  While Invisalign is not for every case, the company is constantly improving their product.  One of the issues that they have worked on is the ability to rotate teeth effectively.  Those attachments that you speak of will provide the leverage that is needed to accomplish this. If the posts you are reading are older, Invisalign, at that time, may not have been able to handle a rotation movement. Keep in mind that you may still need to use traditional braces (or buttons and elastics along with the trays) for a short time to rotate those canines if the Invisalign itself cannot accomplish what you are looking to do.  Be patient and compliant; you and your dentist need to work as a team to get the results you deserve.

Best of Luck.

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Canine teeth can be more difficult to move

+2

Although canine teeth have long roots and are difficult to move, I have seen dramatic movements of canine teeth that I would not have believed possible.  This was done purely with invisalign treatment.  It may be necessary to use some additional help from wires but stick with the treatment, be patient, you might be amazed at the results.

Martin Frankel, DDS
Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign for rotated teeth

+2

Rotations are definitely one of the toughest movements to accomplish in the mouth.  Periodontal fibers that attach to the root surface tend to pull and prevent braces or Invisalign from accomplishing the goal of alignment when it concerns rotated teeth.  That's not to say that this cannot be accomplished.   It does take a bit more work, such as the use of attachments for added torque and with patience the teeth will rotate and align.  Invisalign in particular has done numerous studies using various shapes and positions for these tooth colored attachments to achieve optimum results.  Seven years ago Invisalign would have a very tough time with this type of movement.  Now with all of the research done, Invisalign can accomplish this and other difficult movements as well.  So yes you should be able to achieve your predicted outcome.

Jimmy C. Wu, DDS
San Diego Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign works to rotate canine teeth with proper planning, attachments

+1

Hi Shona,

First be positive and committed to wearing aligners 22+ hours a day.  We have treated worse cases that your situation with great outcome.  Attachments will certainly help especially if they are of proper design and thickness.  You will get used to them.  What’s most important is that your attachments always fall into proper space as you change into next aligner. If you do not have a good fit, you need to wait and see your invisalign provider.  If you do not get a good fit, they need to remove and replace that attachment in any future aligner.  We use some of our own techniques such as lingual attachments as well as use of tiny elastics from tooth to tooth held by one attachment to another to help with rotation.  I will be more than happy to explain this technique to your invisalign provider should the need arise as its not taught by Align.  I am sure your provider is very experienced but as the top provider treating some of the most difficult cases in US approaching our 2000 case mark, we will be more than happy to help you or your invisalign doctor.  Good luck.

Daniel Noor, DMD, PC
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Rotating canines

+1

You've started your Invisalign treatment so now is the time to be optimistic and dedicate yourself to wearing the aligners at least 22 hours per day.  Having done braces for 23 years, and Invisalign for 11 years, I feel confident in saying that rotating canines is one of the things Invislign is not as good at doing as braces.  This means that results are a bit unpredictable, even with the new attachments Invisalign has introduced.  One thing for sure; if you want the best results follow the instructions of your doctor.  Feel free to ask  your doctor about doing a refinement or mid-course correction to get the best possible result.

Brian Povolny, DDS, PhD
Seattle Orthodontist