What Could Have Caused Pain, Fullness & Symmetry Issues W/ 5 Yo Implants? How Can I Fix It? (photo)

I'm 27 w/ Mentor HP round saline 350cc implants from 5 1/2 yrs ago in Jan '08. I have stabbing pain occasionally in between my breasts, the left breast is significantly fuller on top & nipple is now 2.5 cm higher than the right. The 1st revision consult said it would be $10k for a full vertical mastopexy & silicone replacements. I do NOT want a lollipop scar.What are my options for symmetrical pretty breasts?is mastopexy necessary? What could have caused my breasts to look like this? I'm scared

Revisionary Breast Augmentation Surgery Best Option?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures. The pictures certainly demonstrate breast implant displacement/malposition problems. Your situation can be improved dramatically with “adjustments” of the breast implant pockets. This operation will likely involve closing off the breast implant space where appropriate ( capsulorraphy) and opening of the breast implant pocket when necessary (capsulotomy).

It is possible, with the above maneuvers, that breast lifting will not be necessary.

I would suggest that you do your due diligence and select your plastic surgeon carefully. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work helping patients with revisionary breast surgery.  The attached link may be helpful to you as you do your research.

Fullness & Symmetry Issues W/ 5 Yo Implants?

+2

It appears that you have sub-muscular implants  with displacement -contracture on the left . I would recommend replacement in the sub-fascial position .I don't believe a mastopexy will be necessary .at the most a circum -areolar mastopexy should suffice 

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

What Could Have Caused Pain, Fullness & Symmetry Issues

+2

Thanks for your question and attached photos. One thing that would be helpful would be to know if these problems were present from the start or if they only occurred after some years . It would also be helpful to see preop photos if available--the nipples and areolas may have been uneven to start with. 

It appears that the left breast encroaches upon the midline, and that is the main asymmetry noticeable to me, other than the nipples/areolas. 

A pocket revision is going to be needed to get better symmetry, possibly with the use of Strattice, a dermal substitute to close off the inner part of the implant pocket on the left. . 

Some sort of mastopexy will be needed to try to make the areolas even. It may be that less than a vertical lift can be done, but that can only be determined at an in person consultation. All the best. 

Minimize pain with smaller implants and simultaneous lift

+1

You are an excellent candidate for a new technique called Implant Exchange with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to remove your implants and place new silicone gel implants retro-pectoral.  Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall will allow the use of a smaller implant to achieve maximum anterior projection.  This technique avoids ugly scars of the lollipop or the Wise pattern boat anchor incisions.  Pain is relieved by using a smaller implant, retro-pectoral support and breast weight transfer to the underlying pectoralis major muscle.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon