Can Rosehip Oil Help to Fade Acne Scars?

Treating Acne Scars with Oils

+2

From what I know about rosehip oil, I do not think that it will improve acne scars. Very few topical treatments improve acne scars. I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist experienced in treating acne scars for evaluation of your scars and for a discussion of treatment options. In the meantime, if you want to try the rosehip oil, I do not think there will be any harm done other than the chance that you may have a skin reaction to the rosehip oil. 

Web reference: http://www.barnettdermatology.com/treatments.php?id=24

Rose hip oil and Acne scarring

+1

There are many things out there that tout that they can improve acne scarring. Most of these treatments can work with the same principle as silicone gel and sheets. They would most likely work in the first 3-6 months of any skin injury from Acne. I would consider a multilayered approach with co2 laser resurfacing at the end of all the treatments.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Re: Rosehip Oil for Acne Scars

+1

The idea behind rosehip oil is that it is a natural source of retinoic acid, which is supposed to increase the rate of cell turnover. However the effect of rosehip oil on acne scars has not been confirmed by research. 

You may want to consider laser systems like Fraxel Dual or Spectra (for milder forms of acne scars) Many patients have been very happy with the results. The lasers work by applying heat to the dermis which is beneath your skin's surface. This heat causes special cells in this layer to generate  normal forms of collagen that are found throughout your skin. Your acne scars are also made of collagen fibers that are arranged in a thick configuration. The new collagen generated from the lasers gradually fades out the scar tissue over the course of several treatments. 

Web reference: http://www.finetouchdermatology.com/los-angeles-acne-scars/

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon