How Are Roots Extracted? Should We Go to a Dentist or a Orthopedic Surgeon?

A dentist was pulling out tooth # 12 on the upper left side of the jaw of my wife. However, the tooth was not completely extracted, rather the root of the tooth remained in the gums. Now she is in severe pain.

Oral Surgeon for Removal of root left after extraction

+1

I am so sorry your dentist was not able to complete the extraction. This does happen. Sometimes. the the entire extraction can not be completed because the root will not come out with the tooth. Some dentists are very good at extractions and others not so good. From here, you need to make and appointment with an oral surgeon.  He will take care of this surgically. I am so sorry this happened to you and I am assured your dentist tried his very best. Your dentist should have an oral surgeon to refer you to and do it as soon as possible to resolve the pain! 

Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

Extraction

+1

I am sorry to here this about your wife.  I would go to a Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon to have the roots removed.  A general dentist is completely qualified to remove teeth, but if they could not retrieve the root do to difficulty or a complex surgery, I would go to a specialist.  You should ask your dentist for a referral and let them also know that she is in pain.

San Ramon Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon