Root Canal Extraction of Maxillary 2nd Molar W/severe Bone Loss. Is There Hope for Implant?

My root canal has been infected - For years my old dentist couldn't see anything with x-ray & dismissed by telling me to take Advil. Cap recently fell off, found new dentist, got me on antibiotic, got a temp, but face began to swell. I was sent to second doctor who uses the Picasso Trio Dental CBCT. He found dramatic bone loss, some areas that there is no bone at all! I was put on very high dose antibiotic. Should I be worried, will this be a difficult root canal extraction? Feedback appreciated

Infected tooth, failed root canal

+1

The tooth should be extracred as soon as possible. The site could be bone grafted and prepared for future implant 

depending on the extent of bone loss/ extent of bone graft/ type of bone graft, the site should be re evaluated in 4-6 months using a CBCT scan for available height and width of bone for an implant.  Also to see if additional bone grafting / sinus grafting needed 

This way you will know if you could have an implant/ what size.....

Bone grafting will help also for preserving the bone that is shared between this tooth and adjacent tooth. So it is useful even if no implant is planned. 

Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Bone loss and dental implant

+1

The extraction itself probably will not be too difficult unless the tooth has fused to the bone. As far as bone loss there are a lot of newer bone graft techniques (emdogain has garnered some wonderful results) which can give a good supporting bone platform for dental implants. I do not know areas or level of your bone but i would go see a periodontist regarding a bone grafting procedure and then eventually dental implant.

Marielaina Perrone, DDS
Henderson Cosmetic Dentist