Can I Have a Root Canal Two Weeks Before Breast Implants?

I am having a root canal done 2 weeks before my mommy makeover. There is no infection in the tooth, only an inflamed nerve. The endodontist says after he does the root canal that there is no chance of infection. But I still wanted to make sure that it's ok to go ahead with the mommy makeover 2 weeks later. I don't want to have any trouble with my implants.

Root canal and cosmetic surgery

+1

If you have no symptoms, no swelling, no elevated temperature, and a normal pre-operative CBC (white blood cell count) after the root canal; then it is reasonable to proceed with surgery. This is particularly important if you are planning to have breast implants placed as part of your mommy makeover.

Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Dental surgery and breast augmentation

+1

You probably would have no problem following the root canal, especially if there is no infection to begin with.  I usually put pateints on antibiotics for a short period around the time of the augmentation.  However, since the augmentation is more elective ( the inflamed nerve in the tooth needs addressed first),  I would recommend waiting 4-6 weeks to allow the tooth to settle down and with that time period I think there would be even less chance for problems from the root canal.

Should have no problems with breast implants after root canal

+1

If you have no complications after your root canal surgery, you should have no problems with breast implant surgery two weeks later.  I routinely prescribe prophylactic antibiotics beginning one day before breast surgery and continued for at least four days after surgery. 

Root canal before augmentation

+1

Should not be a problem if there is no significant swelling or acute infection( Pain, fever, chills).  If so, I would postpone breast augmentation until dental symptoms resolve.   Donald R. Nunn MD, DDS Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.