Root Canal Therapy/followed by a Possible Crown on One Top Front Tooth. General Queries?

Hello, i am a 19 year old female and today I found out i would be needing root canal therapy on one of my top front teeth. To be perfectly honest, I am incredibly scared and upset. In 5 months i'm moving overseas for 6 months, so i really want to get this all sorted before I leave. I was just wondering, how likely is discolouration on the tooth? Should i consider a crown so there is no risk of fracture? Concerning crowns, are they a lifelong struggle? Will they always need replacing?

Discoloration?

+1

It has been my experience anterior teeth discolor when small pieces of nerve tissue or other debris are left in the crown portion of the tooth. These remnants have no effect on the root canal, only on future color. When it comes to restoring the tooth I'm a little on the conservative side. If the tooth is sound with little damage I prefer to do minor cosmetic bonding. Color matching in the anterior region is challenging and therefore usually very expensive. Also, once you start crowning teeth many issue can develop over time.

Encino Cosmetic Dentist

Root canal ?

+1

Don't be nervous most times having a root canal is like having a filling. The tooth can turn dark and if you have the time and money I would say do the root canal and follow up with the crown for strength. Nothing last for ever however out of all dental care crown will usually last the longest. We normally would like to see the crown last 10 years and most cases they last much longer the real issue is the tooth under the crown good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD       CEO Baystate Dental PC

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Root canal with crown

+1

single crown is one of the hardest cosmetic procedure.  Root canal treated teeth can discolor with time but if the damage is little you might get away without crown but if the damage is severe then you definitely need crown after root canal treatment.

Frisco Cosmetic Dentist

Root Canal Therapy Followed by Crown

+1

You did not specify WHY you need the Root Canal Therapy. Yes, most teeth will darken with time after Root Canal. Depending on how much of your tooth is broken or decayed will determine if you need to proceed with the crown immediately, or if you can wait a while, or indefinitely, without needing a crown. Remember, a single crown on a single front tooth is a VERY difficult cosmetic task. You can expect to replace the crown a few times in your long lifetime.

New York Cosmetic Dentist