Root Canal or Just a Crown?

Dentist #1 stated 4 yrs ago my molar will need a root canal If it bothers me. Luckily the tooth never had pain. Dentist #2 at check up simply referred me for a root canal. I opted to wait for the procedure. 6 months later, dentist #2 review my xray & says a crown is best vs a root canal. i have a lg filling w/ little of the tooth left and it reacted normally to extreme cold. ( the filling is cracked down to the nerve causing pain) If i opt for a crown i run the risk of still needing a root canal.

Need a crown or root canal?

+1

You sometimes are better off having a root canal not for pain but to create additional tooth structure and retention to hold the crown... Another reason is the dentist predicts that so much tooth structure is missing that the tooth will need a root canal in the future so why not do it before the crown rather than after taking a chance of damaging the crown hope it helps good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD      CEO Baystate Dental PC

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Root Canal opr Just a Crown

+1

With so little solid tooth structure left, you are better off having Root Canal first, and then a post and a crown.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Root Canal

+1

Whenever ANY work is done on a tooth, a root canal is ALWAYS a possibility. Since I haven't seen the tooth, I cannot say for sure what the changes are, but anything is possible. If there is sound tooth structure left after removal of the old filling and any decay present, a root canal is not necessary. Your dentist may have you wear a temporary crown for a little while to see if the nerve acts in which case a root canal may be needed. Hope this helps!

Lilya Horowitz, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist