Why are my refinement trays the same number as the first ones?

Hallo. I finished my 21 U+L trays, with 13 attachments in. They seemed to work, they all fit. I've got now 21 U+L refinements, 8 attachments. I'm very disappointed because my theet surely do not deserve SO MANY trays (compared to the cases/pictures I found on the internet). Also, I tought refinements would be LESS than the firsts, but they are exactly the same number!!! Is that normal or maybe the doctor's doing something wrong?

Invisalign refinement trays...

+1
Hello there,
21 aligners followed by 21 refinement trays is a bit much, but it doesn't indicate to me that your doctor did something wrong.  In my 10 years of cosmetic dentistry, I've had to do quite a few refinements, but usually no more than 10 refinement trays.  I will tell you that everyone's mouth is different and there could be several factors that led to you having so many refinements.  For example, the some people have a higher density bone structure that makes their teeth a bit more stubborn when it comes to moving them, than other folks.  The first 21 trays may work on 80% or 90% of patients, but you could be that 20% or 10% that needs more time.  If you are concerned about time, you could ask your doctor about AcceleDent, which seems to cut your time in trays in half.  This would be an option, but does cost more money.  My recommendation is that you just continue the refinement trays.  I know that you are ready to be finished, but you want your teeth to look the best they can look, and you want them to stay that way for the rest of your life.  So make the sacrifice and wear the refiners and you won't regret it.
Good luck to you and if you have any more questions for me, follow me on Real Self.

Saint Louis Cosmetic Dentist