Rollercoaster 4 Weeks After Open Rhinplasty?

I am going on rollercoasters on halloween at great america on October 31. My open rhinoplasty is on October 3. If I ride rollercoasters will anything happen to my nose? Will I be fine? If it causes swelling how long will the swelling take to go away?

Roller coaster after rhinoplasty

+1

I would second the opinion that, as long as you don't smack your nose, you shoul have no problem with rollercoastering.

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can I Go On A Roller Coaster 4 Weeks After A Rhinoplasty?

+1

Your rhinoplasty incisions are certainly healed after 1 week or less.  The full strength in any scar is not realized for 6 months.  That being said and contrary to the previous two Real Team experts, I see no reason why you can't go on a roller coaster 4 weeks after open rhinoplasty surgery.  The chances of the wound tearing open are zero.  The chances of infection from the roller coaster ride are zero.  The chances of bleeding this late after a rhinoplasty are zero.  The G-forces created by the roller coaster may wring out some of the fluid trapped in your nose after rhinoplasty surgery, therefore decreasing the swelling. 

Be very cautious and possibly wear a helmet with a nose guard to prevent any bumping that may occur.  Of course, this is a question for your plastic surgeon, and his or her opinion will certainly supersede mine. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Rollercoaster 4 weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

I would avoid any major exertion for at least 6 weeks after rhinoplasty.   You may want to ask your surgeon to make sure what his post-op instructions are.

Hello

+1

Going on a roller coaster 4 weeks after surgery is not advice. Swelling takes 6-9 months for it to complete subside. I would check with your PS to get his advice.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS