Rogaine Versus Propecia? Can Rogaine work on the front of the scap/head? Is Propecia a better option?

Rogaine Versus Propecia?

+1

Thank you for your question. Rogaine is usually better for the posterior crown of the head. I suggest you look beyond medication and consider Neograft and just have hair transplanted to the area of concern. We are seeing very good results and the success rate is greater than 95%. I hope this helps!

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Propecia vs. Minoxidil (Rogaine)

+1

It is shown that both are effective in stabilizing the hair and can help with regrowth in areas where there is still a viable follicle.  Medical therapies are great for hair loss and are a proactive way to slow down the process.   Propecia tents to be a better option for men and Minoxidil (Rogaine) a better option for women.

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rogaine vs Propecia

+1

For years we have told our patients that Rogaine and Propecia work on the top of the scalp and don't help the front. 

Recent research had shown that both Rogaine and Propecia help hair loss in the front too - especially in young men. It's likely that these medications still help the back more than the front, but that comparison has not been studied in great detail. 

Overall, Propecia is more effective than Rogaine. But, whether it's a better option for you can only come with detailed discussion with your physician about side effects, benefits, cost, etc. Some men use both. 

Jeff Donovan, MD, PhD
Toronto Dermatologist