Is It Possible to Have Normal Looking Breast Again After Implants Have Been Removed?

I was diagnosed with ALCL by a PS in July, he dx without a biopsy. I had to find someone to do the biopsy which came back negative for ALCL the day before my scheduled surgery to remove implants, capsule and even part of my tissue. Even after the Neg. Path report he continued to remove everything. The second report came back negative as well. Now I am disfigured and have no money to reconstruct what he has destroyed. Is it possible to look normal as he took tissue from the bottom of my breasts?

Reconstructing Breasts after Previous Breast Surgery?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the difficult time you have had. At this point, you should have some peace of mind that down the line a variety of breast reconstruction options may be available to you.

I would suggest that approximately 6 months to one year after the last procedure was carried out for you, you visit with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons whose  practice has an emphasis on breast reconstruction.  You may find that some of the techniques used to reconstruct breasts after breast cancer surgery may be applicable to your situation.

Again, I would suggest that you remain hopeful given the variety of modalities available for breast reconstruction these days.

Breast augmentation or reconstruction can provide very good results

+1

Hello

Thank you for the question.  Although I do not know what your plastic surgeon did in terms of breast tissue removal we can almost be certain that you have more breast tissue than a mastectomy patient.  With current knowledge and technology even a mastectomy patients can achieve very good results and therefore regardless of what your current result is I would suspect that you also can achieve very good results with breast augmentation or breast be construction.

All the best

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

+1

I don't read anything that leads me to think that you couldn't have surgery to restore your breast contour. Without photos it is hard to give anything but the most general advice, but surgery with replacement of implants would be the simplest, but if for some reason that is not a good option, other techniques using either your own tissues or tissue expander covered by your own tissues are possibilities. 

Discuss these with your surgeon or another of your choosing. My best wishes. 

ALCL and breast implants

+1

Usually the pathology to diagnose ALCL comes from the seroma fluid or capsule surrounding the implant so your story is not quite clear.  Nevertheless, I would recommend waiting at least six months before attempting replacement of your implants.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

Anaplastic large cell lymphoma and breast implants

+1

Yes, it is possible to reconstruct your breasts. There are many options for breast reconstruction. Although breast implants are not an option for you, there are many other techniques which may be used to help you restore your breasts. it is still early after surgery (and cancer), but eventually you can work on these.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon