Ask a doctor

Broken nose question? (photo)

Like a 1 1/2 weeks ago I was bending over and my 4 year old jumped up and smashed his head into my nose. I didn't go to the ER because I figured it was kinda like a broken toe, nothing they could do. Well since the swelling has gone down and the black eyes have gone away I have noticed that my nose is going to the right and I'm having trouble breathing and getting bad headaches. I went to see my family doctor today and she referred me to an ENT. Are my symptoms from my broken nose

Doctor Answers (5)

Broken nose repair for crooked nose


Its best to seek out an ENT/ facial plastic surgeon to examine the internal portion of the nose  to make sure there is no septal hematoma. Once the swelling has subsided, reduction of the nasal fracture with osteotomies, possible spreader graft to the concave side and fixing any internal deviated nasal septum can performed at same time under brief general anesthetic as an outpatient surgical procedure. For many examples, please see the link below.

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 60 reviews

Possible broken nose


It is certainly possible that your symptoms are related to a broken nose.  Your photos are also consistent with having a broken nose.  I would recommend seeing the ENT surgeon referred to you by your family doctor.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

Broken Nose


Your symptoms are most likely due to your trauma and the resulting broken nose. If you are still in the early healing period (1.5 weeks) you can have it reduced by an ENT or Plastic surgeon. This should help with your symptoms. If you have a long term deformity that is unsightly (curved nose, hump) you can alter it with a rhinoplasty after 3-6 months of healing. 

Best of Luck!

Dr Shifrin

David Shifrin, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 53 reviews

You might also like...

Broken nose question?


   From the pictures and the description, a broken nose seems a possibility.  I would have the examination by your surgeon to confirm.

Kenneth Hughes, MD

Los Angeles, CA

Kenneth B. Hughes, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 237 reviews

Broken Nose Answer


Yes, there is a high probability that the trauma caused your symptoms and you should consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

I wish you well.

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.