Sex After TT. During Orgasm (Before Penetration) my Lower Ab Muscles Began to Spasm. Is This Normal? Can It Cause Damage?

I waited 3 1/2 weeks. Prior to actual intercourse, as I was having an orgasm my lower ab muscles began to spasm. It did not hurt. It felt like the spasms I have when I first stand in the morning. I was flat on the bed had not moved vigorously in any way. Felt very comfortable. Although, it did not hurt I asked my husband to stop for fear it may hurt after or do damage. Should I wait longer to have sex?

Abdominal muscle spasm during sex a month after tummy tuck. Probably not a problem!

+2

You were wise to restrict activity that could have damaged your muscle repair, as heavy lifting, ab exercises such as sit-ups or crunches, and yes, sexual activity that stimulates forcible contraction of the abdominal muscles, can tear sutures and incompletely-healed scar formation that is designed to hold things together for the long term.

Sex is fine whenever it's comfortable for both of you, but I recommend avoiding all activities (including more vigorous sexual ones) that forcibly contract the abdominal muscles for 6 weeks after tummy tuck and muscle repair. So you don't necessarily need to avoid sex, just the trapeze and chandelier variety! (You know what I mean.)

If what you were doing did not hurt, it was likely not a problem, nor will it cause any damage in most cases. The important words in the last sentence, however, are "likely" and "in most cases." Maximize your chances of a successful healing period by limiting things that might (inadvertently) cause damage. Your final result will thank you for your diligence and care! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Muscle spasm after tummy tuck is quite common when muscle repair performed

+2

Thank you for the question.  Most tummy tuck procedures benefit from abdominal wall repair (muscle repair).  The muscles are not so much the issue as is the connective tissue that envelops them.  Regardless, tightening the abdominal connective tissue also tightens the muscles and this often increases the episodes of muscle spasm during the recovery part of the tummy tuck.  The spasm you are feeling is not uncommon and does not directly lead to healing issues.  Just be careful about protecting the abdominal area during the next few weeks.  By 4-6 weeks most of the healing has occurred.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Vigorous activities after an abdominoplasty

+1

Most likely you experienced a severe spasm of the rectus muscles.   This could, in an extreme case, cause a rupture of the sutures used to repair the fascial layer.  Better to wait another 3 weeks before you resume vigorous activities.  

Spasm

+1

You should wait 6 weeks before sex, the same as for exercising. I'm not sure about the spams, but stay away.

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Spasm following tummy tuck

+1

This sounds like spasm of your abdominal muscles and should not hurt anything. However, you won't be fully healed for another 3 weeks so you may want to be careful. If it hurts, it is still healing. Remember, you should do no heavy lifting for 6-8 weeks.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal Spasms

+1

This is not unusual and should be transient.  Go slowly for another 2 1/2 weeks and you should be fine.  Wearing a support garment for 6 weeks is important as well.

Malcolm D. Paul, M.D.

Malcolm D. Paul, MD

Abdominal muscle spasm after Tummy Tuck (during sex)

+1

Thanks for your question. I will assume that you had muscle plication as part of your tummy tuck procedure (tightening of the abdominal muscles). The good news is, the issue you are noticing, muscle spasm, is quite common after this procedure, and you are NOT hurting anything. You may notice it during other activities, such as when you start to resume your regular exercise routine. Rest assured that this is normal, and will pass. Sex at this stage of recovery, particularly if you are relatively careful of extremely vigorous motion (which it sounds like you are) is completely fine and safe. Good luck and congratulations on your procedure.

Matthew Concannon MD

Matthew Concannon, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon