Should I have a lift with the BA? (photo)

Im 34A, 5'7", 125lbs. I'm scheduled for BA at the end of the month, 397cc high profile silicone, incision under the breast. Just looking for opinions on whether a lift would be needed also?

Should I have a lift with the BA?

+2
Yes, unless you place very large and high projection implants, which will look very fake given how thin you are.

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift(TM)

+1
At size 34 A each 100 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change. 397 cc implants would take you up 4 cup sizes to a DD. 397 cc implants will not fit retro-pectoral, will extrude inferiorly and laterally requiring revision. I always recommend small round textured silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral since they look and feel more natural, are more stable, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision. Implant profile is irrelevant in the retro-pectoral position since the muscle compresses it. You are an excellent candidate for a lift and I recommend a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast LiftTM. Using only a circumareola incision is it possible to reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage. Through the same incision, implants can be placed. Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection with a minimal size implant.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Ptotic breasts sometimes need a breast lift along with implants.

+1

Greetings,

This is a difficult decision for you. Do you want the scars of a breast lift to accompany your breast enlargements?

IF you nipples are above the inframmary crease, an implant alone may meet your needs (if you are comfortable with lower breasts).  I would suggest that your plastic surgeon share photos (before and after surgery) of similar breasts he (or she) has augmented.

The option for later mastopexies  should also be discussed with your surgeon, if your resulting augmented breasts turn out to be too low for you.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD, DMD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

+1
From the photos it appears that you are in need of a breast in addition to the augmentation. But you need to be examined, You should consult with a Board Certied PS. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Do I need a lift

+1
Thank you for your question and for providing the photos. While an exact answer can only be given after an actual exam, it appears that you would need a lift and augmentation based on the photos. While the lift would add some additional scars which would fade over time, it would greatly improve the breast shape as opposed to an augmentation alone. This will give you the most natural and pleasing result possible.
I would suggest discussing the options with your plastic surgeon. They should be able to give the rational for a lift or not, and also help with the implant size. Some surgeons will use a larger implant in attempts to avoid a lift. In my experience, this rarely results in the best results and can create a disproportionately large breast which still sags. This can also make further surgery in the future necessary to correct the sag.
Best of luck with your breasts.
Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Should I have a lift with the BA?

+1

Though the posted photos indicate you are a candidate for implant + lifting, I recommend seeing a few boarded PSs in your city to discuss this... 

Lift and implants

+1
A lift is more than likely needed along with placing implants for you.  It is always best to be seen in person to be properly evaluated.

Lift or not

+1
From the look of your photos, I would probably suggest a breast lift.  Of course a careful examination in person would be necessary to make a final decision.  I disagree with the prior plastic surgeon who stated that the need for a lift can be determined exclusively by the amount of skin below the fold.  In my practice I often find that the biggest issue is how low the nipples are.  Implants have to be centered under the nipple to have a natural appearance.  If the nipples are low, and the patient has breast augmentation without a lift, the implants will have to be placed low on the chest.  This can give a matronly appearance. Many plastic surgeons are not comfortable doing lifts and will place large implants in a low position in order to avoid performing a breast lift.  In my opinion this is a mistake.  
Properly done, a breast lift with implants can restore a youthful appearance with breasts that are high and attractive.

Denton Watumull, MD
Richardson Plastic Surgeon

Lift or not?

+1
If there is a mild to moderate amount of droop then you can get away without a lift.

How do I see if there is too much droop?

I use a ruler: if there is more than about 2.5 cm (an inch) of breast hanging over the fold under the breast covering the ruler or if the nipples are below the level of the fold, then you probably need a lift.

You can use a strip of paper that is about an inch wide: stick it under the breast so it goes left to right. If you can't see the lower edge of the paper strip under the breast or if the nipple is below the upper edge of the paper, you probably need a lift.

This is only a guide, your expectations, the surgeon's judgement and experience are crucial.

Just looking at your photos, it seems that the nipples are pretty low: it is closer to your elbow than your shoulder. It ideally should be about midway between the shoulder and elbow. You probably need a lift but how severe the droop is and a discussion of your goals would determine how I would recommend to proceed. Good luck!

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon