I Have Rocasea and Had Ipl, However, my Skin is Sensitive and the Treatment Scarred Me. Would Fraxel or Co2 Lasers Help?

Years ago I had 2 chemical peels and my skin was fine with them, although ultimately I just looked fresher for a week or two. I have been told the lasers go deeper? However, do they work in the same manner as the IPL? As I am worried that my skin is too sensitive and if the IPL scarred me, that means the lasers will? Or do the lasers work in a different way and would they help with the mild scarring from the IPL?

V-Beam is best for Rosacea

+1

If you have bad results with IPL I would refer you to the V-Beam laser.  If you have mild scarring the V-Beam may help with that as well.  I have been using the V-Beam for more than 10 years and even though I own the IPL and several other  vascular lasers, I love the V-Beam since it is so safe and effective especially for patients with sensitive skin.

Light Treatment for Rosacea

+1

Fraxel treats a slew of problems including skin tone and texture, however in terms of redness, it treats superficial redness only, it may not be the best option for Rosacea.

We generally treat Rosacea with IPL is a type of laser (Intese Pulsed Light). I am not sure why you have scarring (scarring could be treated with Fractional). 

As well, I am not sure what you mean by being scared of the IPL treatment. Yes there is a bit of pain and bright light, but generally people find this all tolerable. One option, is you could ask for a freezing agent for your skin

The best thing for you is to have a consultation with someone you trust. An honest in-person answer is exactly what you need. For example, at the Victoria Park Medispa, we take off the doctor consultation fee from any appointment booked and offer complimentary consultations with our technicians, therefore reducing a client’s risk of having a treatment performed without taking the time to think about what they really want. Any esthetic tool needs to be in the right hands, to achieve the best possible results.

Steven Bernstein, MD
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

Pulsed dye laser for rosacea

+1

In general, I prefer the pulsed dye laser for treatment of unwanted redness, acne breakouts, and flushing typically associated with rosacea. I have not found IPL devices as successful for eradicating redness and they may run the risk of pigmentary alterations if higher energies are used or in those with darker skin or with an active tan. The pulsed dye laser is specific for blood vessels and generally is safe even in those with very sensitive skin. Good luck. 

Jason R. Lupton, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

IPL and laser treatments depend on skin type

+1
All light based treatments like IPL, Fraxel, CO2 laser, etc are dependent on your skin color. Without knowing that, it is impossible to give a recommendation. However, if you truly had problems with the IPL, you would be at risk for problems with the laser treatments. Consider posting a photo of the area treated with IPL for more specific advice.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon